Cipted hatches

*26.8 Ilander

Reaction score
Hello all,just thought Id get some input from you gw guys. bondo or epoxy? for chips i tried epoxy its a pita will bondo hold up after you apply the gel coat? its got to be easyer to work with and that god offel comperest somthing that looks like wood that cant ever look good can they be gel coated as well thanks

seasick

Reaction score
No bondo.......

What to use dpends on whether your repair is below or above the water and if you want to match the color.

Hookup1

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Islander
Repair

Could you better explain what it is your trying to do?

That "god offel comperest somthing that looks like wood" I can only guess that you want to paint or epoxey over the faux wood trim. This material is plastic. If you clean and prep it right you may be able to get a two part epoxey primer and paint to stick to it.

"for chips i tried epoxy its a pita will bondo hold up after you apply the gel coat?" How big are these chips that your going to fill them with Bondo? Interlux makes a blue two part epoxey filler that behaves like bondo. Good for filling small holes and leveling large repairs. You will have to paint over it.

You could also use MarineTex for small patch jobs - tint color because it is bright white and will stand out. You could also use a polyester gelkote for cosmetic repairs

*26.8 Ilander

Reaction score
every hatch on the boat has chips in them some small some the size of a qurter.

seasick

Reaction score
Spectrum Color has repair kits, either putty or paste gel coat, that are Grady color matched. Thay can be ordered online or are available at most authorised Grady dealers. The amount of work required to repair depends on the chip size and location. In some cases it maybe necessary to grind out a little more material before repairing. The color match is excellent in most cases.