Clamp On Center Rigger?

fellinger

Reaction score
Does anyone have any experience with the TACO clamp on center rigger mount? I have a 15" telescoping outrigger floating around collecting dust. I'd like to add it to my 272 Sailfish. Anyone?

Thanks,

Fred

Finatic

Reaction score
I use an 8' a Taco center rigger on my 257. Instead of the clamp on mount I use the rod holder on the t-top. My center rigger is double rigged. I hope this helps.

fellinger

Reaction score
Finatic said:
I use an 8' a Taco center rigger on my 257. Instead of the clamp on mount I use the rod holder on the t-top. My center rigger is double rigged. I hope this helps.

Do you have a picture? Are you saying you use a gunwale mount elbow with the rigger in it?

Thanks for the info.

1998sailfish

Reaction score
I use the Taco Grand Slam GS170 Center rigger base which I thru-bolted thru the hardtop.
http://tacomarine.com/product/GS-170/Gr ... -Top-Mount

It is a much more secure installation for the rigger pole and there is no stress on the rocket launcher to hardtop mounting points. We run a double rigged 8' Taco center rigger off of this mount. Running a longer pole will put the longer rigger release well past the inner transom resulting in a poor release angle prone to snapped line and broken rigger releases.

Finatic

Reaction score
I don't use a base but I made a plastic sleeve to fit over the base of the outrigger. By sound that it is more secure in the center rod holder of the t-top. From there I run an outrigger line towards the outer most t-top rod holders. This set up is very simple and has worked well. Sorry I looked around and can't find any pics.

Fishtales

Reaction score
I don't personally have one but have seen them on boats.
Assuming you get the correct one for the OD of the pipe you are attaching it, I'm sure it work well.
The only thing I would investigate is the set screw that locks it in place. It appears to be at the base of the holder on the clamp.
From the picture I've seen, it looks like this set screw bites into the piping under the clamp. to keep it from rotating when pressure is applied.
My concern is for the pipe under the clamp and will this cause you any problems.

The alternative is to put a hard mounted on through the hard top. I think, I'd be inclined to do with the clamp on myself.

tx

beachbum

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Bly (now Gemlux)makes a center rigger with angled base that can be slid into rocket launcher . It is collapses, stored in cabin or gunwale until needed.

eppem

Reaction score
I have a clamp on with an 8 foot center rigger and it works great on my 265 express.