:?: Cleaning aluminum rails

Reel Sharp

Reaction score
Hey guys,
I am sprucing up my recent purchase and would like to know what you guys do to keep the metal on the boat looking and staying good. Aluminum and stainless. Thanks.
Norm

richie rich

Reaction score
I like Flitz polish....not cheap, but it works well....3M makes good stuff but they have different products for different metals....woodywax is good as well as long as the aluminum is not too pitted.

Reel Sharp

Reaction score
Thanks Rich,
I will look into those items. There were 50+ views and no one was chiming in, I was starting to get worried my boat would succumb to the elements!
Norm

richie rich

Reaction score
Norm, posting on the forum is like going fishing...sometimes you catch em, sometimes you don't...sometimes it's just the bait you're using.

if the aluminum is pristine, use the woody wax...I don't think it has any polishing grit in it at all....if it needs a little help, use the flitz...it has a very very fine grit..like jewlery polish.......and if its really bad, you don't have to worry about the anodized coating anymore as its gone....brass or bronze wool (I forget whats out there) and the 3M polish for aluminum to help bring it back....then woody wax over it. Use one of those polishing balls on a drill or plenty of elbow grease.

markb8608

Reaction score
1999 Tournament- Galvanic corrosion

Hi
I have a 1999 tournament which I bought used. The aluminum windshield is held together with SS screws. The aluminum is pitting (around the screws) due to the galvanic action between to dissimilar metals. I started using Tef-gel which I discovered on another forum. I also am using nylon washers between the SS and aluminum. I guess it depends on how long you want to keep the boat or preserve the aluminum.
mark

ocdansar

Reaction score
I use aluma guard mine looks brand new and I apply it at least once a month wipe it on wipe it off

Dot-E-3

Reaction score
Protect Stainless & Aluminum

When I purchased my 2003 Gulfstream, the GW manual recommended Alumaguard to “protect” the stainless and aluminum. I’ve been using it faithfully (about once a month) for six years and have no pits on any of the metal parts. The application is fast and simple if you use a cotton glove and spray the Alumaguard on the glove and then just run your gloved hand over all the metal parts – 10 minutes/month. A spray bottle of Alumaguard will last 2+ years.
George

NOTHING ELSE MATTERS

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Well, after years of using Flitz, i did a test over the weekend and compared it with Collinites metal wax, well, let me tell you, flitz went in the garbage can. Way, way much better product.