cleaning blood off deck plate

cool change

Reaction score
hi all ... could anyone reccomend a good way to clean blood stains a guts of the deck and gunnels ? im tired of buy all the exspendive products.. woody wax etc... im not cheap just thought there was a better alternative and save alittle money.. must be safe for the gel coat.. what do u think of deluted clorox bleach thanks

Curmudgeon

Reaction score
The best way is to clean it when fresh. After that, Mr Clean Eraser. Rinse well ... :wink:

fellinger

Reaction score
Saltwater is best at the time of getting on the deck. I personally use LA's Awesome from the dollar store. The stuff will clean anything! I will even throw a bottle or 2 in the bilge. At a dollar a bottle you cannot beat it with a stick.

DennisG01

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Offshore
I don't have much experience washing blood off - we only fish a little bit and if any guts or blood lands on the floor, I just wash it off right away with the wash down pump. HOWEVER, bleach will not harm your gelcoat, even at full strength. But there's no reason to use it full strength when something like a 4:1 solution is generally more than enough. That being said, I don't know if it will actually work or not... just that it's safe to use. What bleach can harm, is the stitching of seats - it won't harm the vinyl, just the stitching.

Harpoon

Reaction score
Model
Marlin
I use a mixure of bleach and dish soap in my clean-up water after every trip. About 2 cups of bleach, 1/2 cup of Dawn to 3-4 gallons. Let it sit on the blood/fish mess. Scrub with brush, rinse....

Lt.Mike

Reaction score
Model
Overnighter
For blood and stains left by oak leaves I use a 50/50 mix of bleach and water in a spray bottle.
Sprayed on and left to soak for a couple of minutes does the job nicely.
This past spring I installed a washdown system. Fish slime and blood are promptly rinsed away before it can make a stain now.
Oak leaves and acorns are a PITA that I guess I'll have to deal with until I get a carport put in.
Mike.