cleaning blue canvas

sel1005

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
my 360 canvas is several years old now and fading, dirty, and I'm wanting somthing that will restore the deep GW blue but not kill off the water repellent qualities, etc.

Anyone have any products out there that do a good job on canvas and will restore the color and keep the water repellent attributes?

seasick

Reaction score
If the canvas has faded, it's probably a bit late. Canvas should be rinsed regularly with fresh water and with mild soap if the canvas is dirty especially with bird droppings. There are stronger fabric cleaners that may help somewhat. The two things that kill the material are bird droppings and the sun.
You should apply a protectorant regularly to your canvas. I use 303 Aerospace Fabric Guard. The stuff is expensive but I have had good success with it and it really works. If you spray it on outside, pick a calm day or else you will end up treating everybody's boat except your own.
When treated correctly, your canvas should shed water. Spots that absorb water need to be treated.

Your clear plastic is also at risk from sunlight. It needs to be rinsed regularly (avoid most cleaners) and occasionally treated with a UV protectorant. I also like the 303 Aerospace protectorant product. I usually treat my 'glass' once a season. Don't use too much of the product, a liitle is good.
There are many products for your 'glass' out there and everybody has their favorite. One thing for sure is : Never use Rain-X on clear plastic windows...NEVER

walt bowen

Reaction score
As far as keeping it water resistant and also looking good try thompsons water seal.........hooda thunk? I sure wouldn't have, but the guys that do most of the t-tops for Crockers Marine, which is Gore t-tops suggest using thompsons water seal, which according to them that was one of the original uses of the stuff on fabric.

Walt Bowen
01 263 chase
w/200 hpdi's

seasick

Reaction score
walt bowen said:
As far as keeping it water resistant and also looking good try thompsons water seal.........hooda thunk? I sure wouldn't have, but the guys that do most of the t-tops for Crockers Marine, which is Gore t-tops suggest using thompsons water seal, which according to them that was one of the original uses of the stuff on fabric.

Walt Bowen
01 263 chase
w/200 hpdi's

A guy at my club has been using Thompsons for years. Then again, his canvas is so old, it's not clear if the stuff helped or hurt the material. I went to the Thompson site but couldn't find any endorsement for canvas so I am hesitant.
I wonder if others have any experience.