cleaning boat

kdhaynes

Reaction score
Model
Gulfstream
I'm still working on the old Gulfstream. I need to take a hose down in the cabin and wash it all out. I see a bilge pump in front of the space for the porta potty. I have all the batteries out and don't know if the pump works or not. Will any water I use in the cabin drain to the rear or does it have to be pumped out. I thought the pump may be needed in case the drain port was stopped up. I want to spray out the anchor
port, storage bins, and floor.
thanks

dbiscayne

Reaction score
There should be a long uninterrupted 3/4" pvc drain that goes from the cabin area bilge all the way back to the rear bilge. Plus a 2nd short pvc pipe between the two fuel tank compartments, and a 3rd short 1" pvc drain between the rear fuel compartment and the rear bilge that goes through the rear bulkhead on the starboard side of the first drain.
So yes the water in the front bilge should drain back to the rear on its own. It's a good idea to open that pie plate on the cabin floor to make sure that front bilge area dries out real good.
Check out the official Grady website, the owners manual will include all this info & more.

Uncle Joe

Reaction score
Model
Offshore
As Dbiscayne said there is a tube connecting the front bilge with the rear but if your Gulfstream is anything like my Offshore it may sit bow-down at rest. I either have to sit on my outboard at the dock or run the boat at less than planing speed to get the front bilge to drain rearward. You can hose the cabin out as much as you want.

kdhaynes

Reaction score
Model
Gulfstream
Thanks for the info. Its great to have people like you.

glacierbaze

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
Sounds like you are on a trailer, with all the work you are doing. A lot of Gradys will not drain from the front, even with the trailer jack all the way up, unless you raise the motor and block the jack way up. Mine only drains on the ramp.

kdhaynes

Reaction score
Model
Gulfstream
Sounds like you are on a trailer, with all the work you are doing. A lot of Gradys will not drain from the front, even with the trailer jack all the way up, unless you raise the motor and block the jack way up. Mine only drains on the ramp.
Maybe that is why they put a pump there just in case the front of the boat was not high enough. That would make sense.

SmokyMtnGrady

Reaction score
Maybe that is why they put a pump there just in case the front of the boat was not high enough. That would make sense.
They put two bilge pumps and a high water alarm for the safety of the boat and you. I would put a 6x6 wood under your jack and get the tongue up. The water will drain aft. Concrete blocks will shatter if you put them under a load on their side. Use wood blocks .

Pighunter

Reaction score
Mine too!

kdhaynes

Reaction score
Model
Gulfstream
I'm still working on the old Gulfstream. I need to take a hose down in the cabin and wash it all out. I see a bilge pump in front of the space for the porta potty. I have all the batteries out and don't know if the pump works or not. Will any water I use in the cabin drain to the rear or does it have to be pumped out. I thought the pump may be needed in case the drain port was stopped up. I want to spray out the anchor
thanks

thanks
Yep water went straight through. Yep I had to jack up the front of the trailer. Sure is a lot easier using a hose to clean the cabin.
Thanks for the info.

Reactions: Uncle Joe

Fishtales

Reaction score
should be able to plug the tube and fill with water to test. remove the plug and it will drain aft.