cleaning cabin ceiling in a 228

Herman quail

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
New 228 owner with questions on how to clean the cabin.
I am one of the few that plan on sleeping in my cabin,. Its bigger the most 2 person tents. I have slept several night out on local lakes. Love the rocking while on anchor. As much as I love it it needs cleaning. Plan on power washing the bulge areas. removing the cabin bolsters.(Thank you Don Davis) but I need help on ceiling.
My ceiling looks more like carpet than headliner. I read some where it is best to use a hand held steamer. Local rental shop only rents cleaners for carpet floors. Could i use a low pressure power washer to do the same thing and use fans to dry?
Any hints on cleaning cabin ceiling?

seasick

Reaction score
If the material is carpet like, you can try an aerosol spray carpet cleaner. Some you vacuumed off when dry . Its worth a try.
As they always say "try it in a non conspicuous spot first.
There are also liquid carpe cleaners that you can mix with water, wet the material, scrub with a soft brush, rinse and dry. To 'dry' a shop vac with a wet pickup nozzle will suck out most of the water. Then air dry.
Same warning applies.

Byram

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sportsman
Little green carpet cleaner machine. (dont know how to insert the link) Its $100+ but its awesome. I use mine to clean the carpet in the cars a few times a year. I used it on the cabin of my tiara : headliner carpet and walls and worked great. Its a . handy machine to have around. Call it a late xmas present

Hookup1

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Islander
I use a Bissel mini carpet cleaner. Hot water with carpet cleaner added. Short hose with wand works great.

Uncle Joe

Reaction score
Model
Offshore
Do not use a powerwasher. That is carpet and overwetting is carpets worst enemy. (40+ years in the carpet industry)

Herman quail

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
Do not use a powerwasher. That is carpet and overwetting is carpets worst enemy. (40+ years in the carpet industry)
That was mostly a joke. I have ordered a steamer cleaner. I just did not want to use the waterless cleaner,to me they smell like the dry cleaner's.

Reactions: Uncle Joe

Don Davis

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
I used the upholstery cleaner attachment on our Bissell Revolution carpet cleaner for the cuddy headliner. I pretreated with a 50/50 bleach water mix sprayed on first then carpet cleaner in the Bissell. A little cumbersome in the cuddy but we already had the bigger unit for house carpets etc, it worked great as there were stains but it needed multiple treatments. Wear ear plugs as it’s loud in that small space.

Herman quail

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
Thanks for talking about bleach. I do have a few stains to remove as well. Glad to hear 50/50 bleach /water is safe.
I was thinking of full face mask and hearing protection for comfort and safety.