Cleaning cabin cushions

bobdevlin

Reaction score
I have a 2006 GW 228 Seafarer and the cabin cushions could stand a good cleaning. If I take the foam out of them would it be safe to wash them in the washing machine? Has anyone tried this?

seasick

Reaction score
I wouldn't do it that way.
Note that on many Grady cushions, the foam may be covered in a plastic wrap. The foam itself is not like the newer dry foams and will get wet and stay wet if exposed to water.It will grom mildew. Removing the foam may mess up that wrapping.
If the cushions are dirty on the outside, try mild soap and water first. If there are stubborn stains, after the vinyl dries, use acetone. Grady recommends acetone for cleaning. Do not use abrasives or Magic Erasers. They will remove the outer protective layer.
If things clean up, dry and treat with 303 Aerospace Protectant.

If the cushions have mildew or mold, it mat be coming from the inside out. That is a more difficult problem to tackle.
If the stains are pink, you have a problem that is almost impossible to fix. It was a manufacturing defect in the vinyl itself.

seasick

Reaction score
Tucker said:
The wife used a carpet steam cleaner with the upolstry adapter and it worked great.
Very interesting. I may have misled the poster. My recommendations apply to vinyl cushions not fabric. Sorry if I was off the mark.

1st grady

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
I would surely remove the foam and plastic sheeting. Use a gentle wash cycle and let them air dry. Do not put them in the dryer as they will shrink. The plastic sheets are used to make it easier to insert the foam into the covering.

seasick

Reaction score
1st grady said:
I would surely remove the foam and plastic sheeting. Use a gentle wash cycle and let them air dry. Do not put them in the dryer as they will shrink. The plastic sheets are used to make it easier to insert the foam into the covering.
On vinyl bolsters the plastic is there to shed water. On fabrick the plastic does help insertion of the foam but I suspect it also helps shed water.

Legend

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
If you do remove the covets from the foam I would have them dry cleaned before I washed them to be safe

seasick

Reaction score
My owners manual for my 2001 says that the cushions may be dry cleaned. I would not put them in a washing machine.

drbatts

Reaction score
Model
Express 305
i use a bissel cleaner, the same one i will use for the furniture in the house. On other boats i have removed the covers and washed them in a the washing machine, however that material was much heavier then the material on my grady.

ScottLea

Reaction score
Lot's of times the pink stains and spots are caused by a bacteria. Vinyl manufactures stopped putting in anti-fungual and anti-bacterial agents to make their products more eco-friendly.
I used the pink-away vinyl cleaner. Worked to get rid of the pink stains on my white vinyl. I was expecting to have to replace some of the upholstery. Sunblock that gets on vinyl protects the bacteria from deadly UV light. So it grows and produces the pink stains. I was quite happy the cleaner worked!

noXcuse

Reaction score
I throw my boat and camper fabric cushions in the washing machine. Doesn't hurt them at all. Just use cold water only. I let them air dry, because I learned the hard way with my camper cushions. Drying them in the dryer will make them shrink a little bit, and when you insert the foam, it is a very tight fit. A couple of them actually curled up on the ends because it was so tight. Basically, use cold water and let hang dry. You'll be fine.