Cleaning Gradys..

wshackne

Reaction score
Yeah I hear you, bro. Meat that has been baked for 10 hours is no fun to get off!

Michigan Brian

Reaction score
Model
Adventure
I like reading this thread.

I just bought my 208, it was taken very good care of and I am trying to do the same

when you guys talking about waxing, do you mean you wax ALL of it? Including all the gelcoat on the interior? (except for the non skid of course)

thats a lot of waxing!

I use Restore for everyday cleaning. Its like a spray on cleaner wax

NOTHING ELSE MATTERS

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Yes, i wax all of it, inside and outside.On the Grady i'm lucky cause i have bottom paint so i don't have to do any there, but i do it on my other boats.
If you buy a good polishing tool(i have one made by porter cable), there is nothing to it, well, almost nothing.

Michigan Brian

Reaction score
Model
Adventure
I have a Makita wheel, it does really help.

now that you brought that up, do you apply wax with it then use a different bonnet to remove it?

I am talking about general everyday waxing, not the rubbing out kind of job.

I have been applying by hand, letting it dry, then using the wheel to remove it.

Brad1

Reaction score
NOTHING ELSE MATTERS said:
Yes, i wax all of it, inside and outside.

Same here. All fiberglass gets waxed. The smooth glass gets 3m. The non-skid gets woodys. All stainless gets polished.
All upholstry, clear plastic (isinglass), and trailer tires gets protectant. All canvas gets treated. All zippers and snaps get lubed.

I like to keep my stuff looking like brand new. I never know when the time may come that I may want to sell something I own and since I am not a salesman, I need to make sure my stuff sells itself. I've owned 10 yr old boats that people thought were brand new. My Grady is an '03 and the hull sides shine like a mirror. Then again, only using the boat about 10 times a year, keeping it fully covered when not in use, and storing it indoors in the winter sure helps to keep it like new.

Michigan Brian

Reaction score
Model
Adventure
my 94 shines like a mirror too :D

I use a lot more then 10 times a year though....

just want to keep it that way

:lol:

Brad, are you going to the Walleye Central get together next month?

ten times per year??

alibi 2

Reaction score
you all sound like my husband..after each fishing trip it's almost a full day cleaning the boat..I don't like to help because he just goes over what I cleaned a second time..this last trip home from mexico he spent a week cleaning and waxing the boat and all canvas..he uses bar keepers friend but the new soft scrub with bleach is awesome..

while in mexico we lived on the boat for 30 days so the head was a challange. ..I took lysol cleaning wipes and wiped done the head daily then sprayed the area and the cabin with lavendar fabreeze...it really kept all odors away..

magicalbill

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Marlin
Part of the reason I started this thread was to get into the "frame of minds" that owners have.

I drove myself nuts cleaning my Seafarer for 10 years..Boat looked great and sold quick when I finally threw in the towel and had to take a break. The fun I had on the boat wasn't enough to compensate for the work I put into it to keep if up to snuff.
3 years later I got my 232 and am cleaning again like mad. I have faced the fact that an important part of the ownership experience for me is keeping the boat like Brad1 and NOTHING ELSE MATTERS.
Fortunately, I really like my Gulfstream, so the work is worth it so far.

I don't fish, so sitting dockside and cruising/swimming is my thing. Plus, I trailer and store it inside so that helps.
I wish I could be like Okletsfish and wshackne and divorce myself from the obsessiveness, but there's no way..

It's interesting to me to read about everyone's take on this..No right or wrong unless you let one go as much as the Express 265 I mentioned in my opening post. That's just stupid....

NOTHING ELSE MATTERS

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
I mention in earlier post that i use 3M wax, that was a mistake. The 3M product i use is a polishing.
What i use is Collinite's #920 cleaner ---- $8
Collinite's #925 wax --------$15
Collinite's #850 metal wax-- $11
Sorry for the mix up, if any.

LittleMrs

Reaction score
BTW I LOVE Barkeepers Friend. I use it on my pots and pans with every use. Darned things look brand new. I hope there's not a risk to using it that frequently - I noticed a post above talked about using it a few times a year.

Gary M

Reaction score
I've used Barkeeper's for years, but only on the non-skid areas. I was just on my hands and knees in the cockpit yesterday.....

I use Zip Wax Car Wash since it cleans but is easy on the wax.

For the Isenglass I use an old, soft wash cloth. For the shiny parts, I use a soft (yellow) Shurhold brush. For the cockpit floor, I pop off the soft brush head and pop on the stiff (white) Shurhold brush. I do not spare the fresh water......

I'm a BIG fan of the multi-use Shurhold products. I use the one, 8-foot expandable handle/pole and use separate heads for use as a: boat hook, gaff, fish net, mop and brush.

http://marineengineparts.com/shopsite_sc/store/html/page151.html

Brad1

Reaction score
Michigan Brian said:
my 94 shines like a mirror too :D

I use a lot more then 10 times a year though....

just want to keep it that way

:lol:

Brad, are you going to the Walleye Central get together next month?

ten times per year??

I know, 10 times a year isn't much. I have two Son's (ages 12 and 9) that are more into playing sports than fishing. Spring baseball, traveling tournament baseball, football, basketball, and traveling tournament basketball, then repeat. I never like to miss any of their games or practices, and when not at one of those, were practicing on our own. Between work, my Son's sports, other responsibilities, and poor weather getting in the way of a trip here and there, I don't get near the amount of time I would like to spend on the water. But I put my family way above anything else. I actually question whether or not I should even own an Erie boat at this time in my life.

Doesn't look like I'll be able to make it to the WC get together. Just too much going on right now.

Heavy Duty

Reaction score
I guess I too fall into the "clean freak" group. That includes my vehicles.

I flush the engine after each trip. Then fresh water wash down the engine itself, and wash/wax the cowl.

I wash the boat also after every trip. I was tought by a professional car detailer that plain Ivory dish soap is the best for washing cars. Looks like it works very well on boats too. Does a good job at getting rid of mold and all sorts of dirt, oil, and grease. You only use 2 caps full to 5 gallons of water. I use a very soft brush to wash the entire boat. If there is dried blood/guts around I'll use a scotch pad to get it up after I soak it with water. The Ivory soap did a really good job when I cleaned the bilge this past spring. Nothing like watching 16 years of oil and grime come out of the bilge. She is nice and clean now with a couple of layers of oil cloth to catch the oil.

Inside the cabin I use a mop to clean the deck. Then hang a car freshener inside the cabin (your choice of smells). They tend to last a couple of weeks before needing replacement and you can get them cheap at Wally-World.

The last fishing trip the crew was standing around drinking beer as I washed the boat. One did offer to help. Told him no I'd do it myself. Don't want soap and water in or on the wrong things. So he passed me a beer up.

I wax mine twice a year. In between I use a good polish. The boat is a '91 and it does have a few dings in it. But overall it looks nice. The guy I bought it from kept it inside during the winter. I don't have a building for it but I do plan on putting up a carport to park it under during the offseason.

Good tips, I'll have to try them.

Heavy Duty

LI Grady

Reaction score
Does anyone have a good "wax" or alternative for the non-skid walkway and deck? I hate to leave them unprotected but I don't want to turn the deck into a skating ring either.

Thanks

Fishermanbb

Reaction score
Woody Wax....Expensive...And won't last that long ....But works great for non-skid......FOLLOW THE DIRECTIONS.......Otherwise you might regret it...But, this stuff is amazing for non-skid...You'll need to re-apply once a month unless you are using an abrasive cleaner....then more often but with WW you can really just use plain soap and water....

seasick

Reaction score
Yup, Woody wax for the non skid. Use mild BOAT soap for cleanup and the Woody wax will last a lot longer.