cleaning hard top

el jefe

Reaction score
Model
Marlin
Ok here is one I did not see after search. I clean the hard top with brush and or pine or boat soap but does any one wax or polish the top. It isn't a smooth surface but it does get all that direct sun? Thanks.

gradyfish22

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Yes, wax it, it takes the most abuse since it is hit with the sun the most, and most owners neglect to protect this area. At the beginning of each season It gets cleaned well and then a coat of wax. It's fun sitting high off the ground on the hardtop while it is on land polishing it :lol: I'd do it on land instead of water, the boat will rock in the water, but then again if you fall water is a lot softer then concrete...asuming you don't hit the rail or side first. I usually have a buddy tie me off to the opposite side I'm working on that way if I fall I don't go too far...just hope he really is a friend and ties it well. :!: Orpine soap is a very good soap and will not wear down the wax quickly, soft scrub and others will remove it very quick. I also hit it a few times a season with the orpine soap with the wax in it, it is not as good as actual wax, but better then nothing, especially when the boat is in the water and you want to use it, not be cleaning it.

I personally recommend a hard carnabba wax, it will put a thicker coat of wax on then paste and will last a little longer, but it must be taken off with hull cleaner before a new coat is put on the next time or the undercoat will yellow over time. I use 4 seasons treewax. If you like paste better, colinite fleet wax is the way to go, it is a thicker wax then a 3m paste. 3M makes great waxes, but for this use it might not last as long.

RJTFD

Reaction score
Clean and wax in the spring then thruout the season wash and woody wax. like you would do the deck.