Cleaning Her Up

Cregan13

Reaction score
Model
Express 330
What do you all do to keep your cabins clean and fresh? What techniques? What products?

What do you use for the eisenglass?

What do you use for the combing pads?

I am trying to learn some new stuff to keep my rig looking new.

Holokai

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Adventure
I fish my boat 99% of the time so I’m not worried about her staying showroom clean. That said I do wash the entire boat with West Marine boat soap after each outing.

The bilge gets filled with fresh water until the float switch kicks on. That gives me verification the switch/bilge pump are working and also rinses out any saltwater.

Trailer gets sprayed down with saltaway after everything else

Every month or so I’ll use the Imar polish for the enclosure (I have Strataglass).

I’m sure there will be many more answers from members with way nicer boats than mine.

donna hiebert

Reaction score
The only thing you need to care about is the hard work and the product. I clean my Rinker very often, but if not with soap, that is not enough.
You can soak the scrub soap and combine with a little detergent solution. I have learned how to keep my boat white from this boat article. Here they will show us its effects, and its bad sides. You will gain more experience and better analysis to use these products. In addition, they also analyzed and synthesized for me the safest and most effective substances.
Currently, I'm still using products from this place. And I found it quite effective, I think you try to use it. If you need, I can upload a picture of my Rinker after scrubbing the product from here.

Fishtales

Reaction score
I like the Colinite Cleaner followed by Meguairs Marine was. Both easy to work with a buffer on and hand off. Woody Wax is good for the hardtop and non skid. Zep Mildew and Mold below the decks when on land to clean out the bilge (let it drain out the aft plug). I used the 2 step Meguairs on the Eisenglass for years, no issues. I'm using the Inmar products on the new strata glass.

O

oliver305

I wash my boat with Meguiar's soap after each trip. Very happy with the shiny finish and coat it left behind. We did not have to buff or wax after use.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: Ettatouffée

ElyseM

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
denatured alcohol then Plexus on the isinglass. a good soap then starbrite vinylbrite on the exposed vinyl (3m vinyl cleaner/protector on the enclosed helm vinyl.) ron

magicalbill

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Marlin
RE: Cabins:

I am in Florida so my biggest ally is a dehumidifier. I run one 24/7 when the boat is not in use. Instead of constantly running shore power, I run an extension cord from the outlet on my finger pier to the unit. The clear tubing that comes with it is routed into the galley sink so the accumulated water runs down the drain and out the thru hull. During these periods of inactivity, I prop the cushions up so air flows underneath and open storage hatches, the head door and the galley fridge.

Continuing this concept; moisture is your enemy. We allow nothing wet or damp in the cabin, ever. We cook regularly below and judiciously clean up afterword's. We sit on towels when lounging in the cabin to protect the cushions.

My Sig Other is in charge of the Head, she stays after it with regular cleaning of the bowel and tank and it doesn't smell.

We also air it out whenever possible on nice, breezy days. Anytime, I'm messing around on the Marlin, the cabin doors are open.

RE: Eisenglass:

Imar Strataglass Cleaner (spray bottle.) Pleasant scent..Use with micro fiber towels only. I never let any salt water or stains remain on the eisenglass for very long. Rinse with freshwater first, dry with micro fiber towel, then apply the Imar; wiping off with another dry micro fiber towel. (Note: DO NOT roll up your side or aft curtains after salt spray has hit them on a rough day offshore. Rinse them off beforehand or the salt granules will scratch the clear glass as you roll them up.)

RE: Combing Bolsters:

On the bolsters and seats I use a combo of 303 Aerospace Protectant and 303 Mold & Mildew Cleaner/Blocker, applied separately. Each product goes on every 6 weeks or so. I never let it go more than 2 months without re-application.

I also use a second dehumidifier for the helm area when the eisenglass is zipped down. Go in there after a summer thunderstorm in Florida during July and you'll see why; it's as humid as an Amazon Rainforest. Even though it's not completely sealed up, it's not like dehumidifying the Great Outdoors. The Unit does not run on "high" mode all the time. it will get the humidity down to 45% or so and keep it there.

It is worthy of mention that I keep the boat fully covered during periods of inactivity. If the boat was exposed to the Elements all the time, I would do all the cleaning and prevention much more often. To me, a good cover is worth the hassle, even on our Marlin.

Sorry you asked?

Reactions: PDX-Boats

jillyrubyjane

Reaction score
Model
Dolphin
Meguiar’s M4364 Marine. This wash gets the boat clean when the directions are followed, without undue fuss and bother. If they ever make a product that will make it stay clean I will buy that one too. Until then, this is my go-to choice.

Sailfish

Reaction score
I leave the small dehumidifier bags in any closed storage compartment, and open cabinet doors/prop up cushions for extended absences (more than a week).

Reactions: blindmullet

Aquanut2

Reaction score
Model
Marlin
RE: Cabins:

I am in Florida so my biggest ally is a dehumidifier. I run one 24/7 when the boat is not in use. Instead of constantly running shore power, I run an extension cord from the outlet on my finger pier to the unit. The clear tubing that comes with it is routed into the galley sink so the accumulated water runs down the drain and out the thru hull. During these periods of inactivity, I prop the cushions up so air flows underneath and open storage hatches, the head door and the galley fridge.

Continuing this concept; moisture is your enemy. We allow nothing wet or damp in the cabin, ever. We cook regularly below and judiciously clean up afterword's. We sit on towels when lounging in the cabin to protect the cushions.

My Sig Other is in charge of the Head, she stays after it with regular cleaning of the bowel and tank and it doesn't smell.

We also air it out whenever possible on nice, breezy days. Anytime, I'm messing around on the Marlin, the cabin doors are open.

Sorry you asked?
Hi Magicabill I like your approach and diligence. I just picked up a new to me Marlin with a serious mold problem what dehumidifier have you found to work well in the cabin & helm? Assume it's driven by A/C.
Thanks
Mike

blindmullet

Reaction score
Model
Explorer
I leave the small dehumidifier bags in any closed storage compartment, and open cabinet doors/prop up cushions for extended absences (more than a week).
You can buy them in bulk at Costco.

magicalbill

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Marlin
Aquanut2:

Eva Dry is my brand of choice. They are made in Tampa, I think. Yes, they are A/C powered.

You may have an easier time of it in NC than we do in Fla. Moisture is a huge problem here, so I just run the two Eva Dry's 24/7.