Cleaning Spark Plugs or Replacing with New?

hotajax

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
On a 2 cycle V-6:

If you pull the plugs, and the only thing is a LITTLE oily carbon, is it ok just to clean and re-gap them? I use a little Deep Creep or anything else that softens up the carbon and hit them with a wire brush, then a little ether to dry up the oil, and stick them back in. If there's no pitting or burning of the electrode, is this almost as good as new? Thanks. Hot Ajax

seasick

Reaction score
It depends on how often you check/replace. I change mine at the beginning of the season and the old ones look pretty good. There is not a lot of carbon at all. For 3 bucks a piece, it is easier to replace for me. Now if yours get a lot of carbon, you need to find out why. There are several possible causes:
Too much oil, two rich a fuel mixture, and the wrong plug for your applications. Two 'cold' a plug can lead to fouling especially if you do a lot of low speed boating like trolling.
Two much fuel can be O2 related if all plugs look fouled. Two much oil can be due to a problem with the oil synchronization adjustment.
I also add Ring Free on each fueling.

I usually don't like cleaning since it is possible for a piece of the wire brush to break off and get into the plug. That will end up in the cylinder. The same goes for 'sand blasting' or other abrasive cleaners.

grady23

Reaction score
I've been working on engines or all types for more then 45 years. I NEVER clean plugs only replace. It's not worth the trouble when you have to remove them anyway, why not just replace them. I buy the plugs for my SS II engines thru a local parts house and only pay 2.59/each. Even with twins that's only about $35 for everything. Cheap insurance! Just my view.

seasick

Reaction score
grady23 said:
I've been working on engines or all types for more then 45 years. I NEVER clean plugs only replace. It's not worth the trouble when you have to remove them anyway, why not just replace them. I buy the plugs for my SS II engines thru a local parts house and only pay 2.59/each. Even with twins that's only about $35 for everything. Cheap insurance! Just my view.

YUP!

bayrat

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
This is what I was taught when I took an outboard course many years ago.
1-Remove the spark plugs
2-Throw them in a bucket of clean water
3- Reinstall any that float.. :wink:

seasick

Reaction score
Bayrat,
I will have to make a note of your advice:)

Parthery

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
$1.99 apiece at O'Reilly Auto Parts. Picked up a set today and will swap them out this weekend. It's cheap insurance.

family affair

Reaction score
Model
Islander
Hotjax,
A couple things to consider:
1) I hear what you are saying. One can accumulate a lot of dollars worth of "almost" perfect plugs over the years.
2) Your plugs should stay clean if your engine is running properly.
3) Fogging could make them a little ugly. Take your oily plugs and clean them as you described and keep them for fogging.
4) Keep your clean ones for after you burned off the fogging oil.
If the above can be done, you shouldn't need more than 3 sets including on board back-ups.

'84Offshore

Reaction score
First off I have an I/O.......350 GM

I have 2 sets of plugs, change them every other year.
Clean the plugs when I take them out and keep 'em for next year.

Been running the same 2 sets for years.