Cleaning the bilge ... Fisherman 216

Whazzup

Reaction score
In an effort to shine her up, I was wondering if I man supposed to clean the bilge. The access is very limited, so I came across a StarBrite product that is "set and forget". The boat is maintained and serviced every year by the selling dealer, but the bilge is a bit of a "black box" to me.

Thanking in advance for the assistance. I did do a search and can't find the answer.

This is the product I am referring to:

glacierbaze

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
Let’s say you mix up 5 gallons and dump it in your bilge. The only way that it works, by sloshing around into places that you can’t reach, is if you turn off the automatic feature on your bilge pump. Therefore, the safest way to do this is when you are trailering your boat, not when you are using your boat.

Whazzup

Reaction score
Thanks for this as you've answered half of my question. I wet-slip her, and don't know how to turn off the automatic pump. That said, I've never really cleaned in there and wondering if I'm doing something wrong, i.e. missing essential maintenance.

glacierbaze

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
Easiest way to disconnect the pumps is to pull the fuses, which is an in-line fuse on a brown wire, within a few inches of either the battery, or the battery switch.