Cleaning the bilge

Fishtales

Reaction score
FWIW.....

I was installing a high water sensor and pulled a cockpit floor section. The bilge was a bit moldy and dirty and I was looking for a way to clean it without a lot of work before I installed it. I tried a bleach based product from Home Depot (Zep Mold and Mildew Stain Remover). It came with a 32 oz trigger bottle and also a gallon refil shrinkwrapped together. I sprayed everything down waited about 3 minutes to let it soak and then washed it all right out the drail plug (boat still on stands and plug out). All the dirt, mold and stains came off - no scrubbing at all. The bilge looks like the day I bought the boat. It is made for bathrooms (tile, grout and fiberglass) and says it isn't made for stone, chrome faucets, metal, formica and can stain fabrics, so I wouldn't use it anywhere else. I wouldn't let is sit too long just to be sure it doesn't hurt anything down there.

1st grady

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Thanks for the tip. On my to-do list along with the mold on the hardtop undersides. I might just spray it on a rag and wipe rather than spray and rinse in such a delicate area.

eppem

Reaction score
Spray 9 works great for under the hardtop too. Buy it at Home Depot, not a marine place.

ahill

Reaction score
Marine Spray 9 dissolved the Grady installed caulking in my shower walls and blurred the labels of my Jabsco head. Won't use it again.
The degreaser Home Depot sells in the black bottle is cheap and an excellent bilge cleaner.
HD sells rustoleum for $6.95. $9.95 for same stuff at West.

seasick

Reaction score
I use the ZEP for general mold removal especially after winter storage. It works very well but depending on where it's used, you may want to apply a coat of wax after cleaning. Zep is safe for fiberglass bathtubs according to the label and I haven't seen any discoloration after three years of use ( I do rinse after use).
The best part is that the ZEP at Home Depot was $1.66 . Tell me what you can buy in a marine shop for $1.66?