Cleat

Morella

Reaction score
Model
Freedom 275
Can i add a port and starboard cleat on each side of my windshiedl , by screwing into the hull as there isn't any access to bolt thru for a small bumper used only for docking

Fishtales

Reaction score
Can you explain the location better and the model of your boat? If it is a cabin or walk style I'm assuming your talking about the fiberglass structure that the windshield is mounted to. I would say no for a couple of reasons. You really need a backing plate behind the cleat. That area of the boat isn't that thick and probably won't take lateral pressure well. It also is something you will catch on to or worse dig into you. Just not a good spot for a cleat if you ask me.

If it is a vertical pole you are trying to protect from? One option is to get a good size fender like a Taylormade and mount it sideways. You can loop it around the bow railing on the side (location you want) and then tie the line to the other end. Done correctly this will sit horizontally just under the rub rail. Slide it along the bow railing to position between the boat and pole.

If it is just a dock fender between the horizonal dock and boat (less position accuracy needed).. I'd tie it to one of the vertical pieces of the bow rail and let it hang at the right length. They make some nice Velcro straps or quick disconnect clips that make install/removal easier if you don't want to have to tie all the time.

DennisG01

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Offshore
I wouldn't add a real cleat. A real cleat would end up getting used as a 'cleat' somewhere along the lines and, as mentioned, it may not be in an appropriate spot (you may have access to thru-bolt, but might have to remove something or get up underneath). Why not just use the existing midship cleat?

However, a fender cleat (look on Taylor's website) would be appropriate. You could also mount it to the gunwale (which is likely even more robust).

A pic of the area would help, though.

Newport Grady

Reaction score
Model
Adventure
Yeah. Cleats always sooner or later get used by someone as, well, a cleat. I am in the industry. Just look at how many times you see a dockline tied off to a mere stainless handrail.

But it can be done. Just make sure to use a BACKER plate. Not just washers. A backer plate. As big as one that will fit. G 10. Or plywood works fine.

Morella

Reaction score
Model
Freedom 275
Thank you all , Taylors webb site it is.....