Coast Guard Documentation Regs

journeyman

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Marlin
The Coast Guard regs say
The name and hailing port of a recreational vessel must be marked together on some clearly visible exterior part of the hull.

The area on the transom in front of the Motors isn't exactly "clearly visible". Also, I know some separate the name and hailing port lettering. The name on the hull sides and the hailing port on the transom.

Any thoughts or first hand experience with this? Has anyone gotten feedback or comments from law enforcement?

My forum search showed a couple of hits on this subject but more on the way/where the documentation numbers are attached.

HBSteve

Reaction score
Even with the outboards, I'd bet name/port on the transom is fine. A person would really have to ask for it for that to become an issue......

DennisG01

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Offshore
I agree, I can't see this being an issue with small boats. As far as I know, small boats aren't even required to have a name. I "think" the rule comes into play with documented boats (that's different than registered), but I'm not positive. Either way, the guy with the blue light would have to be having an awful bad day and you would have to be an awful big jerk for this to be an issue (if it is even a rule, that is). I wouldn't worry about it - mine is on the transom.

journeyman

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Marlin
It is a documented boat, No state numbers or sticker needed (I checked).

wspitler

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Express 330
From a long ago retired USCG boarding officer: US documented vessels have a hull number that is usually on a main beam somewhere in the hull. We always looked for that number to verify nationality/ownership. Vessels without name and homeport and not flying a flag were considered "stateless" until boarded. Most outboards are not documented and therefore don't have to show name and home port. It used to be that documented vessels did not have to be state registered, but now the tax man cometh. Most all states now require that documented vessels be registered, although they cannot make documented vessels display state numbers. I know Florida requires registration for documented vessels, not sure how hard they enforce it though. Here's what Boat US says: "For those who keep their boats primarily in U.S. waters, federal documentation in no way replaces state registration, nor does it exempt boat owners from complying with state laws. In fact, most states require documented vessels kept in state waters for a certain period of time to register and get a state sticker to indicate that the required state taxes have been paid. However, a state cannot require you to carry state numbers, as a documented vessel already has federal numbers.

Documentation is a federal (U.S. only) form of registering a boat with the U.S. Coast Guard and is preferred by many lending institutions because it is currently the only way to get a Preferred Ship's Mortgage. This type of mortgage for a boat loan allows the recording of a lien against the boat (not the person). Documentation as a vessel of the U.S. is also useful for those who plan to spend time cruising in foreign countries.

In order to qualify for documentation, a recreational vessel must be at least five net tons (usually 25 feet or more) and be wholly owned by a U.S. citizen. Any vessel put into commercial service in the U.S. must also be documented. In order to receive the Coast Guard's "Coastwise" (commercial) endorsement, the vessel must also be American-built."

journeyman

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Marlin

Legend

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
My boat is documented and I have the names on the sides and the port on the transom - I have had several random boardings by CG and was never question about the name and port locations. I know the regulations say they should be together but not sure many know the details of the name and port locations.

wspitler

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Express 330
Most reasonable boarding officers only care that you meet the intent to the regulation.