Coast Guard: Vessel Kill Switches Required By Law Starting Next Month

Capt Tom

Reaction score
Model
Freedom 205
Well it was just a matter of time, life jackets are next.

Boaters operating vessels under 26 feet long will be required to use an engine kill switch beginning next month, officials said.

The United States Coast Guard announced the new requirement after the law was passed by Congress.

blindmullet

Reaction score
Model
Explorer
Well it was just a matter of time, life jackets are next.

Boaters operating vessels under 26 feet long will be required to use an engine kill switch beginning next month, officials said.

The United States Coast Guard announced the new requirement after the law was passed by Congress.

...unless it has a cabin. Need to read up on that definition. Lol

Capt Tom

Reaction score
Model
Freedom 205
No I think it means the helm needs to be located in the cabin for it not to be required which will rule out most 26' boats.

Capt Tom

Reaction score
Model
Freedom 205
OK, dummy me. This topic has already been discussed on this forum and I actually remember it now.
Anyway after reading the law just recently I understand it more.

wspitler

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Express 330
This requirement was written into the Coast Guard Authorization Act by our politicians. Of course there are wireless versions. The requirement to have it attached is only when on a plane or above displacement speed. As a former USCG boarding officer, I wonder how a boarding officer would be able to tell whether you have it attached or not. It's not a bad idea anyway, but I don't expect the CG to go hard on enforcement, maybe a warning if they suspect violation.

Reactions: Walleyze

DennisG01

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Offshore
It appears, if I read it correctly, the law (the mandate to have an ECOS installed) is only applicable to boats made after Jan 1, 2020. So if you're operating a boat made prior to that, you wouldn't have to wear it since the boat is not required to have it. But as most of us would agree, there are times when I would definitely wear it - especially in a smaller boat. For example, we have a a little 12' skiff with a 10HP on it and at WOT that can get a little sketchy (but fun!) in the turns. It's a "dad rule" that my kids MUST use it if they take the boat out.

wspitler

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Express 330
The way I read (Q#3 on ref.) it is you are required to use it , if, it is installed. Therefore, since most smaller vessels (< 26') have them installed, they will be required to be used regardless of manufactured year.

DennisG01

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Offshore
Hmmm. Good point, Bill. I think you're right. I suppose someone with a pre-2020 boat could remove it if they were so inclined, though. That would really be silly to go to that extreme, but hey... there are people refusing to get the covid vaccine because they believe "they" are putting tracking chips in the vaccine ;)

Disclaimer: I'm not intending to start a debate on vaccines or saying it is good or bad - just using that ridiculous (but true) example as an analogy.

blindmullet

Reaction score
Model
Explorer
No I think it means the helm needs to be located in the cabin for it not to be required which will rule out most 26' boats.

Correct. I wasn't talking about our marine campers, but would like to see what the definition of a cabin is for the requirement.

seasick

Reaction score
I read the rules and they are a bit confusing but Boat US has a decent FAQ page on the topic.
Here is how I read it:
All boats less than 26 foot built after Jan 1 2020 and having a motor rated at about 3HP and greater must be equipped with a Emergency Cut Off switch/lanyard or wireless ECOS device
Any boat older that was manufactured earlier having a motor rated at 3HP or greater that was equipped with an ECOS, requires that it be used. Used means that either the lanyard is connected to your clothes, to a PFD that is worn or a wireless ECOS device is enabled.

A boat under 26 foot that has the steering helm inside an enclosed compartment ( think pilot house) is exempt.
If the boat has the ECOS, it must be used while under way with a few exceptions.
The ECOS device does not have to be used if the boat is trolling, docking or in displacement mode.
If the boat is plaining , the ECOS device must be enabled ( worn or a wireless device)

I can't wait to see how this gets enforced. I would imagine that the authorities would be hard pressed to state that you weren't using your ECOS while underway since you are not required to use it at slow speeds (displacing). What they can do however is check that you have a working ECOS, meaning it has a lanyard, the lanyard is attached to the disconnect switch, the other end has a clip or suitable device to attach it to your clothing or PFD AND that the ECOS works.

I may have missed a detail or two:)

Reactions: wspitler

Fishtales

Reaction score
Just opening the door. It likely gets worse in the future.

DennisG01

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Offshore
I can't wait to see how this gets enforced. I would imagine that the authorities would be hard pressed to state that you weren't using your ECOS while underway since you are not required to use it at slow speeds (displacing).
Ha! Unless they try and board you while still on plane, EVERYONE is at a standstill when getting boarded!

Like Bill said, I imagine this isn't going to be high up on a CG officer's priority list. Probably will be used more during questioning after an accident for the insurance companies to find a way to not pay out.

Reactions: wspitler

Hookup1

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Islander
Bass fishing on my 19' Stratos with 175 (60 mph) we always wore life jacket and used the kill switch. Always put it on before sunning the boat down the lake. When I switched to 29' Luhrs for salt water fishing I stopped using the kill switch but kept the life jacket requirement for me and my kids. On my 268 Islander I haven't been using either.

The newer boats are moving to center consoles with high horsepower capable of 40 mph+ speeds. If you have a boat that is "easy" to fall out of at speed you should use it. You need to clip it to something so put a life jacket on. The new inflatable life jackets are Coast Guard Approved. They were not back when I was bass fishing but I used them anyway.

Now I'm always fishing with a small crew - usually just a second person - who may not have significant boat handling experience. Bought new EPIRB's this year. Meant to buy a inflatable jackets but didn't. I'll buy a pair for this year. Good place to hang my personal EPIRB and snap the kill switch to.

kirk a

Reaction score
Model
Express 330
Hi Sir. Yes, I took off the kill switch when it was obvious you were going to board me, and I wanted to be able to get my fenders out. Why yes, of course I was wearing it.

v8boatbuilder

Reaction score
The wireless systems from Fell Marine and ACR are really good, and add some nice piece of mind. I have personal experience with the Fell Marine and like it a lot.

Macho attitudes aside, cutoff lanyards make sense.

Reactions: Ryhlick