Cockpit Access Door Mods

Chutch

Reaction score
Model
Express 330
I want to convert my rear cockpit access door to the newer style 330 express. Has anyone done this mod?
Any good pictures of a newer 330 express with the hinged version. I need to recore it any way. I pulled the dead generator and don't intend to replace it and want better access to the storage space.
Thanks

1713282876728.png

DennisG01

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Offshore
I assume you mean the bilge access hatch, correct?

I'm sure there are pics you can find easily enough... but based on your pic it looks like a good/easy candidate for a piano hinge between the small and large hatch.

But... is the perimeter underneath the hatch already channeled as a rain gutter? Otherwise, since you won't be sealing the hatch, you'll get a good amount of water into the bilge.

Fishtales

Reaction score
Prob not happening unless you go to a professional glass guy. Just seal it every year and go fishing is my advice!

Automated14

Reaction score
Model
Express 330
Do a search on here. This isn’t the only the thread on this. The consensus was time better spent improving what you have.

i have an ‘04. I clear siliconed the joint between the horizontal part and the cockpit floor. After it dried I pulled it up and enough stayed that it’s like I put a gasket there. It didn’t have the screws when I bought the boat so I left them out. I applied the silicone only between the removable panel and cockpit floor. Not below it, not on the surface. Just between.

when I need access, I pull the whole thing out and have plenty of room. I don’t get any water in bilge either… we’ll not from there anyway lol.

also, that area under there is a lousy storage space. No matter what access you have, you will always be partially under the transom fish box. Also, that’s where the fuel separators, steering reservoir, and ac water pump are. I guess you could make a liner for that area?

Last edited:
Reactions: Chutch

Hookup1

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Islander
It not designed to hinge up. It's too big! And it will never seal. How ofter are you in there? Just cleanup your bilge and caulk it down.

SkunkBoat

Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Model
Express 265
Lazarette is the proper term, I believe, but Aft Bilge would be understood by evryone.

The new Grady 330 appears to have an overboard drainage channel and a hinged hatch like a professional boat builder would put on their boats.... ;)

You can't do that. IMO you should be able to get both elbows and head into that space because it is a machinery space....

I recored the hatch and put in a large rectangle Tempress hatch in place of the ridiculous 6" piehole.
That way I can seal the deck hatch down and still have access.

Another way might be to use some type of reusable dope or gasket instead of silicone to seal it when it is screwed down

ghFzFPGm.jpg
n76rBnGm.jpg

drbatts

Reaction score
Model
Express 305
You may need to search a little for it or contact him directly, but another member EPPE put a hinge on that plate for better bilge access in a 265 a LONG time ago(10+ years).

Chutch

Reaction score
Model
Express 330
I assume you mean the bilge access hatch, correct?

I'm sure there are pics you can find easily enough... but based on your pic it looks like a good/easy candidate for a piano hinge between the small and large hatch.

But... is the perimeter underneath the hatch already channeled as a rain gutter? Otherwise, since you won't be sealing the hatch, you'll get a good amount of water into the bilge.
yes, there is a drain gutter on the sides that is piped down into the bilge. I'm also after better access to the seacocks in the event of failure and opening and closing them. A larger hatch may be the better play where the pry out is now. thanks for the input.