Cockpit cushions

LaLa

Reaction score
Any suggestions for cleaning gunnel mounted cockpit cushions?I can't seem to get them clean (white).

What does one us to clean anodized hardtop aluminum or window frames?

Thanks,

Thomas[/b]

seasick

Reaction score
Unfortunately, the cushions ( I think you are referring to the bolsters) fade over time from the sun. Once the outer protective coating is gone, there is no way to restore the finish. I have found that if there is dirt, you need to try progressively stronger cleansers. Start with plain boat soap. As a last resort for dark stains, I have had luck with acetone but it is really harsh on the vinyl. In between approach is to try some medium polishing compound.
Although it is probably too late now, applying a treatment with UV protectors will extend the life of the bolsters. I use 303 Aerospace protectant. Other vinyl treatments will help too.

Those bolsters have a limited life especially if constantly exposed to the elements.

ElyseM

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
i use marykate crazy clean with a stiff bathroom brush (the ones shaped like little boats with a handle) and then spray them with 3m vinyl protector (w/ the uv protection). they hold up nicely. ron

BobP

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
Try Clorox CleanUP, rinse with water, then apply a vinyl cleaner / treatment.

gradyfish22

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Bleech for the cushions, that is about the only thing that might get them clean again, but it is harsh on the cushion material, make sure to flush with water after to get the bleech off. 3M sharpshooter might get some off as well and is not as harsh. As far as metal, I've used a ton of things over the years, they all stink or kill you with lots of rubbing, but I used woody wax this season, so easy to sue and they look better then ever. If the metal is in good shape without pitting, get the single spray and use just that, if you have pitting and some corrosion, get the full metal work kit with steel wool and both the protect and and wax. My pipework and windshield look great and it went on very easy, I give Woody Wax 2 thumbs up. Also great for non skid deck, keeps it clean and protected but not slippery.