Cockpit drain covers

Deep Blue

Reaction score
Is there such a thing as cockpit drain covers that let water through but block everything else? Somehow cockpits attract leaves, so I have to cover my drains with 3M tape so they don't clog. Curious what other people do.

Halfhitch

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
There are perforated covers for some outlets depending on their design. You can fabricate your own out of SS or plastic screen for temporary and remove them for using the boat. My boat drains out the rear bulkhead to a through hull fitting in the transom with a flapper. My boat sits on a trailer at home and leaves do get in the cockpit. I don't have screens, I just shoot a garden hose nozzle stream through once in awhile to make sure there is no clog.

Fishtales

Reaction score

TMC PARTS

Reaction score
Website
www.taylormarinecenter.com
The new style that Grady is now using have a better screen system than the old ones with their one single plastic bar (see pictures). They are the exact same dimensions as the old ones to fit in the existing hole. Part number for them is 11-547 and normally run $55.95. Hope this helps!

Joshua Doyon
Parts Manager
Taylor Marine Center
Phone: 302-422-9177

Attachments

• IMG_5898.jpg
    IMG_5898.jpg
    301.3 KB · Views: 54
  • IMG_5899.jpg
    IMG_5899.jpg
    308.8 KB · Views: 52

suzukidave

Reaction score
for storage, i had a small stainless mesh sink strainer in one drain when the boat was outside on the trailer and i was getting that issue. you can form the mesh into the hole enough to stick in place by friction while the boat is sitting but you need to pull it out before you tow or went underway.

suzukidave

Reaction score
correction, my wife tells me it was a tea strainer and also that i still owe her a tea strainer .

Deep Blue

Reaction score
The new style that Grady is now using have a better screen system than the old ones with their one single plastic bar (see pictures). They are the exact same dimensions as the old ones to fit in the existing hole. Part number for them is 11-547 and normally run $55.95. Hope this helps!

Joshua Doyon
Parts Manager
Taylor Marine Center
Phone: 302-422-9177
That's a gorgeous part, but whew, $56 each!

Reactions: themikehyde

glacierbaze

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
You can buy an assortment of three or four Stainless steel sink strainers in the dollar store. They are dome shaped, and mesh, so that you can push the smaller ones into the holes, or turn the larger ones upside down over them.

wspitler

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Express 330
That's a gorgeous part, but whew, $56 each!

Joshua, Are those stainless steel covers (316/304?) and is the cover part removable from the rubber/plastic elbow? Hose size? Thanks!

Fishtales

Reaction score
Buying them is the easy part. Installing them and then having to run the lines to the thru holes if the fun part....

DennisG01

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Offshore
Buying them is the easy part. Installing them and then having to run the lines to the thru holes if the fun part....
Actually, I found the replacement to be quite easy. I just had to do this, first:

IMG-3923.jpg

Reactions: Zebulon

DennisG01

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Offshore
Is that the 1982 weekender in your signature?
Yes, it is. I bought it knowing the floor was soft - mostly around the cutout where the original sterndrive engine was as the plywood core was exposed there. I knew the soft area would be bigger than what was noticeable underfoot... it always is... so I got into this boat knowing I'd be doing a cockpit floor (and partial bulkhead) replacement.

When I got it:

New aft area:

Not the best picture as everything isn't put all back together, but it gives you an idea. I was also mainly focused on structural integrity and reliability, less so on aesthetics.

Last edited:

Deep Blue

Reaction score
I've heard stories about this, the cockpit drain hoses to the through-hulls - how does one replace them?

DennisG01

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Offshore
We could tell you, but then we'd have to... ;)

Truth is, it varies from boat to boat. Access to the underside of the drain... access to the back side of the scupper/thru-hull. Some boats have decent access, some not so much. Often you're doing it blind. Sometimes you need an elbow with double joints... for other boats, you need to cut a new access hole. Best thing is to just go and look - that will give you the best idea of what's involved. Of course, still another way to do it - and probably the easiest - is to use that tool that your wife probably keeps full time in her purse... if she's like mine, anyways!