COCKPIT FLOOR DRAIN REPLACEMENT AND HOSE NECESSARY?

KABELLGRADY86

Reaction score
Model
Overnighter
SO I HAVE A 1986 GRADY OVERNIGHT THAT IS NEW TO ME LOVE THE BOAT BUT IT LOOKS LIKE SOMEONE FIBERGLASSED THE FLOOR DAINS IN THE COCKPIT OVER AS WELL AS THE THROUGH HULLS ON THE OUT SIDE BY THE WATER LINE. I HAVE WATER PULL UP IN FRONT OF THE SEATS AND WOULD LIKE TO RESOLVE THIS. I WAS WONDERING IF I PUT IN THE FLOOR DRAINS THAT JUST DRAINED INTO THE BILGE IF THAT WOULD BE A PRBLEM LATER IN MY STRINGERS OR CRET OTHER PROBLEMS. SO MY QUESTION IS CAN I JUST REPLACE THE DRAIN AND NOT WORRY ABOUT THE THROUGH HULLS OR DO I NEED TO REPLUMB THE WHOLE THING? ANY HELP WOULD BE AMAZING THANK YOU....O ALSO IF I DO NEED TO REPLUMB ANY HELP ON ACCESSING THE THROUGH HULLS AND FLOOR DRAINS WOULD BE AWESOME.....THANKS IN ADVANCE

KYLE

VeroWing

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Most people that buy Grady White boats want to keep the self-draining cockpits. It is a valuable asset to have on a boat. Placing a drain down into the bilge puts more pressure on your bilge pump(s), and if aft bilge pump was to fail without you noticing, it could put the boat and anyone on it in danger. I personally, would never do this. Can you post some pics of where the drains have been removed and glassed over, both inside and out, then we can give you some options of what to do.

Reactions: kabell

kabell

Reaction score
Model
Overnighter
Most people that buy Grady White boats want to keep the self-draining cockpits. It is a valuable asset to have on a boat. Placing a drain down into the bilge puts more pressure on your bilge pump(s), and if aft bilge pump was to fail without you noticing, it could put the boat and anyone on it in danger. I personally, would never do this. Can you post some pics of where the drains have been removed and glassed over, both inside and out, then we can give you some options of what to do.
thank you I'll try to get some tonight

DennisG01

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Offshore
That's sort of an odd thing for someone to have done. A self-bailing cockpit is generally considered more advantageous than one that funnels water down to the bilge to be pumped out. My guess is that the underfloor drain hoses were starting to leak and rather than fix it right by replacing them, the owner took the easy way out. Unfortunately, that makes me wonder about other maintenance items.

How does water currently get down to the bilge to be pumped out?

But, you can certainly just plumb floor drains to the bilge - thousands and thousands and thousands of boats are setup like that - even ones that stay in the water. How you use the boat is probably more indicative of what you should do.

Access is what you see - there's no magic. You know the boat better than me and can physically look at it, but I would assume you'd need to go after it through the aft jump seats. If needed, cut a 4" or 6" hole in a good spot and replace with a simple deck plate.

Reactions: kabell

kabell

Reaction score
Model
Overnighter
thank you I'll try to get some tonight
it says all files are to big

HookUp

Reaction score
Model
Adventure
open your pic on your Pc with thr Microsoft Photo program and resize it.

KABELLGRADY86

Reaction score
Model
Overnighter
94342208_908632622920371_8532880620102090752_n.jpg