cockpit floor protection

ric

Reaction score
Model
Offshore
getting new grady, wondering if other owners can recommend some protective covering for cockpit floor ,many times on last boat people drop sinkers etc and chip the floor paint

Fishtales

Reaction score
Things are going to always happen. Don't turn it too much into a trailer queen. Need to enjoy her.
If really concerned:
- Seadeck or equivalent. This stuff is glued down. Do your homework as far as adhesive and removal. Some day you may want to and you could have residue issues.
- One piece rubber mat. You'd have to template but it just drops in.
- Rubber squares that snap together. Prob a better option than above and water drains through. You'd likely need to trim some pieces. Usually these drop in.
- Rug. Could use or not use snaps to hold.

Personally, I would just be careful, use and enjoy the boat. Thinks happen, they make gelcoat color touch up and in a few years it really won't matter.

Reactions: Dhirsh

DennisG01

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Offshore
Some thoughts...
-- SeaDek and similar products like it look fantastic, but they're more for pleasure cruising than working. You can get SeaDek in either glue-down or snap-in versions. Personally, I wouldn't pick this option though - too expensive and not really the right product for the job.
-- There's all types of marine anti-fatigue mats available (google for more info). Some with holes, some w/o. Very nice, heavy so they'll stay put easily.
-- Mats like you would see in a gym
-- "Home" versions of gym mats or anti-fatigue mats from HD or Lowes. These are typically 2' square pieces that click together. They do a "decent" job of staying together, but you may want to tape the seams or glue the seams. These will be much lighter in weight (and not as durable) as the better anti-fatigue mats mentioned, but less expensive.
-- Mcmaster-Carr is another great resource to check into regarding anti-fatigue mats. They should have lot's of this stuff to pick from.

reelserious

Reaction score
Another simple solution is to dip the sinkers in melted black rubber. Protects the boat and also camouflages the sinker. Most importantly, don't let the boat own you....kind of defeats the purpose in my opinion.

ElyseM

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Another simple solution is to dip the sinkers in melted black rubber. Protects the boat and also camouflages the sinker. Most importantly, don't let the boat own you....kind of defeats the purpose in my opinion.
hey, good idea. but i would use the PlastiDip (and i will next season) instead of heating rubber. thx for the idea, ron

blindmullet

Reaction score
Model
Explorer
If you are a hardcore fisherman just pickup a couple commercial grey outdoor mats from Sam's. Our commercial boat used them for years under your fishing spot on the boat.

SkunkBoat

Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Model
Express 265
I've been kicking around an idea about this. Non-skid is getting worn.
I like the look of Seadek but I don't want permanent.
I want a removable mat that will fully cover the fishing cockpit, not pieces glued to/around the various hatches.
I see a cheap knock off 1/4" faux teak EVA foam on eBay. Thinking of buying large vinyl mat, cut to shape, and sticking the faux teak on top.

I got all winter to figure it out....

Last edited:

Fishtales

Reaction score
I was lobstering in the past and used the heavy rubber ESD for electronic benches in 5' sections. Would toss 2 of them over the gunnel and raise the traps up. Worked great.
I like the idea of the Sam's commercial mats. The cockpit isn't that large and you could probably cover it with one seam. Use for fishing and other dirty work uses and you can roll up and put in a dock box when the family wants to go out for the day if desired.

SkunkBoat

Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Model
Express 265
If the only thing holding you back from using Seadek is the permanent part, put snaps in (or domed snads).
heheh snaps are permanent! I think I could make a custom faux teak mat for less than $200
Might it be crap? maybe...
This requires a lot of thinking and second guessing.... ;)

SeanC

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
Why stop at just the floor?;)

Attachments

• CAF12AE8-46A8-48F8-B8D3-371BC459B807.jpeg
    CAF12AE8-46A8-48F8-B8D3-371BC459B807.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 2
Reactions: Blaugrana

DennisG01

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Offshore
heheh snaps are permanent! I think I could make a custom faux teak mat for less than $200
Might it be crap? maybe...
This requires a lot of thinking and second guessing.... ;)
Yeah, probably not the same quality as Seadek, but the question is do you really need what Seadek is offering? In my opinion, if you can get something at a substantial savings and it fits YOUR needs... go for it! :)

blindmullet

Reaction score
Model
Explorer
Yeah, probably not the same quality as Seadek, but the question is do you really need what Seadek is offering? In my opinion, if you can get something at a substantial savings and it fits YOUR needs... go for it! :)

Seadek also has some drawbacks. I can say the style my BIL used through Castaway does have a few problems.

- Dogs nails can cause damage! For the price it needs to not scratch.
- It seems to get slick when it's really wet. We were slipping around pulling stone crab traps.
- Watch the colors. Much like dark concrete it does seem to retain the heat from the Florida sun.
- I think the adhesion issues are more installer directed. I haven't personally seen this issue.

All that said it will be going on my swim platform. I was scheduled a few months back to get it done, but got Covid. I just haven't got back to it. My big concern is the durability with the dog nails.

Lt.Mike

Reaction score
Model
Overnighter
From my experience covers used with the intent to protect what they lay on, especially that which is walked on has the opposite effect and tends to scrub what it lays on. It doesn’t help when grit gets underneath.
If it’s glued down like seadeck thatd prevent the scrubbing but you’d never see the pretty deck your protecting.
I would take the best care I could of the new deck and then many years down the road put the seadeck down to pretty it up again.

Reactions: SkunkBoat