Cockpit Rocket Launchers on Express 330

fedja

Reaction score
Model
Express 330
Thinking about adding a table mounted Rocket Launchers in the cockpit of my 2017 330 Express. Not enough rod holders so I though this might be a solution. Is there enough space for a 38 x 16 inch setup with 4 rod holders and 2 cup holders? WIll the cockpit get too small to work fish? Teak or Poly...what would look better? Any thoughts

HMBJack

Reaction score
What you have there is an excellent choice and solution. The 38" width might? be a tad wide, not sure.

When I bought my 2006 330 13 years ago, it had a rectangular (18' X 30") Birdsall Marine table with 4 rod holders and 2 cup holders. Like this one >>> https://www.birdsallmarine.com/product/productsrectangle-pedestal-table/

When I saw it I said "It has to go" and will be in the way.
The exact opposite... It is the center piece of the cockpit and I cannot live without it.

Teak or F glass - your call. If you go teak, buy a custom cover for it.

Sardinia306Bimini

Reaction score
Model
Bimini
I checked out this 330 Espress a month ago in Sardinia and it had a rocket launcher.
Honestly i did not liked it as it occupies too much space, but thats me
Bildschirmfoto 2023-12-22 um 17.42.35.jpg

drbatts

Reaction score
Model
Express 305
I have seen a number of 330's with the cockpit rocket launcher. The teak one pictured looks nice.

HMBJack

Reaction score
That cockpit rocket launcher/table in Sardinia is the wrong color (pure white) and it's installed backwards.
The Drawers should face forward, not aft, in my opinion. Other than that, it looks like a nice unit.

I think one needs to spend time on the water to see if you like such a thing. I love mine...

Mustang65fbk

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
I'm personally not a fan of having anything in the center of the deck and taking up that much space. If I were you, I'd get something like this where you can add 7 rods, have them be out of the way and still have the setup look quite nice. Though I will say, I've always loved the look of the hardtop mounted rocket launchers, but maybe that's just me.

Sardinia306Bimini

Reaction score
Model
Bimini
That cockpit rocket launcher/table in Sardinia is the wrong color (pure white) and it's installed backwards.
The Drawers should face forward, not aft, in my opinion. Other than that, it looks like a nice unit.

I think one needs to spend time on the water to see if you like such a thing. I love mine...
The whole rocket launcher structure was big and ugly and too near the stair to the helm deck.
But moving it more sternwards it would obstaculate space in the middle of the deck what i would not like either.
OP's seem to be less deep so it would be better i guess.
But i am not only trolling and need and enjoy a open space so i would adapt on the rodholders already installed or mount a rocket launcher on the transom,
either inside or outside.

Chris

fedja

Reaction score
Model
Express 330
The transom would be a good location for rocket launchers, but with my Yamaha F 350's there is no space for them once the engines are in the up position. The Hard top is a good option for storage when underway...but you can't use those locations for fishing...unless your standing on the hard top :) My boat has a dive door, so its down to three useable deck level rod holders.

Good point on the color, The fiberglass / poly option will always be real white....and not blend in with the Grady off-white. Whereas the teak will be different anyway. My iea is to have a pedestal that is fixed but that I can swap the rocket launcher for a sitting table when the mission changes from fishing to entertaining..

fedja

Reaction score
Model
Express 330
IMG_3932.jpg

A couple of more examples I found. No Teak examples on 330 so far...if anybody has one please share. Note the one is set more forward than the other,

IMG_3933.jpg

Sardinia306Bimini

Reaction score
Model
Bimini
The transom would be a good location for rocket launchers, but with my Yamaha F 350's there is no space for them once the engines are in the up position.
Sorry, i meanth the splashwell wall, just behind the livewell.
Would it not work if you screw the mounting plate on the passage between wall and splashwell between the engines so that the rised engine cowlings will fit?

You may install on the wall just behind the livewell one sturdy (rod) holder and insert a one pole rocket launcher for rod holders like this one
There are some italian companies making similar rocketholders.
Chris

Mustang65fbk

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
How many rods will you be fishing at any given period of time? Per the GW website, it says a 330 Express should have 4 rocket tubes attached to the hardtop and then 3 in the cockpit area. Is that the same for your boat? I think I'd personally just consider adding a few more rod holders to each gunwale and then maybe see if you can add a couple to the stern of the boat as well. As mentioned above, I'm not a fan of the table being in the way and always having to walk around it every single time. But hey, that's just my opinion, it's your boat so do whatever you'd like to it.

Reactions: Sardinia306Bimini

fedja

Reaction score
Model
Express 330
Yes three on the gunwales and two on each side of the hard top frame total 7. In comparison a 33 Ft center Console probably ahs 20+++

Sardinia306Bimini

Reaction score
Model
Bimini
Yes three on the gunwales and two on each side of the hard top frame total 7. In comparison a 33 Ft center Console probably ahs 20+++
But not in the cockpit area, at least half of them are forward the console.
Also when i chartered we had 2 rods + 1 teaser on the outriggers and 2 on the rodholders on the leaning post, sometimes the centerrigger too.

How much rod holders do you need and would like to have in your cockpit area?

Chris

fedja

Reaction score
Model
Express 330
But not in the cockpit area, at least half of them are forward the console.
Also when i chartered we had 2 rods + 1 teaser on the outriggers and 2 on the rodholders on the leaning post, sometimes the centerrigger too.

How much rod holders do you need and would like to have in your cockpit area?

Chris
I wold like to Have 4 across the transom and three on each side...The rocket launcher is a way to mitigate the no-transom rocket launchers...

SkunkBoat

Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Model
Express 265
330 is a very wide boat..11ft? I haven't fished one but I've been on one. If you don't have coolers and buckets covering the deck you have the room. Certainly a great option if your style of fishing is strictly trolling for tuna/mahi/sailfish/marlin and you have a big set of riggers tripled and a center rigger, and a crew that knows how to dance. Its not going to help you for drift fishing or bottom fishing.
Swapping a table for 'boating" is a great idea. Just remember, once the pedestal is there, its there.
No matter what, you'll still have way more room than any center console....

I'm willing to bet you can get more gunnel rodholders in. I got 3 on one side and 4 on the other on my 265 Express.
There is always the rod cluster that goes in an the existing gunnel rodholder
Screenshot 2023-12-24 at 8.18.15 AM.png

Reactions: Sardinia306Bimini

SkunkBoat

Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Model
Express 265
Also, think about a custom rack of 6 rodholders on the transom. It could arch up higher than the lid of the fishbox. Motors would clear?
Definitely need transom rodholders. I have 6 in my transom tailgate. Could not live without them.

seabass 2021_1.jpeg

Sardinia306Bimini

Reaction score
Model
Bimini
That is what i suggested and would do, but Op wrote that it will not work as tilted up cowlings are to near.
The transom would be a good location for rocket launchers, but with my Yamaha F 350's there is no space for them once the engines are in the up position.
However, i would check well if the custom rack/rocket louncher can be mounted in a way to alow engines tilt up at max.

Other solution would be - as asked - pedstall mount rocket launcher what will work (also a fighting chair) but some like it some dont.
Only a question to arrange itself with the necessary space loss, same as adapting using the hardtop mounted rodholders and a center rigger.

Chris