Cockpit Rocket Launchers on Express 330

Mustang65fbk

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
I agree with SkunkBoat, and that was what I was getting above, is that how many rods are you planning on fishing at any one given period of time? Unless you're planning on fishing over 6-7 rods, I'd think your current setup would be sufficient, or you could add another couple of gunwale mounted rod holders. Especially the double ones, as pictured above.

fedja

Reaction score
Model
Express 330
Also, think about a custom rack of 6 rodholders on the transom. It could arch up higher than the lid of the fishbox. Motors would clear?
Definitely need transom rodholders. I have 6 in my transom tailgate. Could not live without them.

View attachment 32141
Cant add them to the transom. There is a refrigerated box and door. The F350s tilt up to the transom so no room for rod holders on the outside...

SkunkBoat

Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Model
Express 265
Cant add them to the transom. There is a refrigerated box and door. The F350s tilt up to the transom so no room for rod holders on the outside...
My thought was an arch that is higher than the tilted motors but still lets the door open.
Trying to find a pic.
Think of the off the shelf transom 6 rodrack you see everywhere, but arched up off the transom.

Or hinged and pinned so it flips up or comes off when the motors are raised

nothing you can't do with money

I've thought about a large cuttting board (with rodholders) done in a similar fashion.

Heres an off the shelf version of a cutting board not rodholders... but think about how you could put mounts on the far ends and an arch to let motors clear.
I realize your motors are closer than in this video but if you get some height you can clear.

Reactions: Sardinia306Bimini

Mustang65fbk

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
I'd do what SkunkBoat suggested earlier and get some combination cupholder/rod holders to where you can use them for either application you want.

Sardinia306Bimini

Reaction score
Model
Bimini
My thought was an arch that is higher than the tilted motors but still lets the door open.
Exactly that is what i was suggesting,
two pipes on the outside the tilted up cowlings who rise the rocket launcer above them,
or mounting the rocket launcher base plate and pole centerline just in the middle of the two tilted up cowlings.
With a bit of tries there should be a position allowing that the engines tilt fully up and the livewell lids can still be opend.
Chris

Reaction score
Model
Explorer
I have that on my 360 express. It’s great but it does take away space in the cockpit and does get in the way with multiple hook ups. . I have an aluminum plate fastened to the deck so I can remove the post when we’re out for a cruise or inshore bottom fishing.

fedja

Reaction score
Model
Express 330
I have that on my 360 express. It’s great but it does take away space in the cockpit and does get in the way with multiple hook ups. . I have an aluminum plate fastened to the deck so I can remove the post when we’re out for a cruise or inshore bottom fishing.
Is yours fiberglass or teak? I like the idea of the aluminum plate so you can remove it as needed. Do you ever swap it for a regular table?

drbatts

Reaction score
Model
Express 305
Pretty much every cockpit rocket launcher, table, fighting chair etc. has a metal base attached to the deck. The accessory of your choosing then mounts to that plate. I have 2 fishing buddies with Tiaras. both boats have a circular plate on the deck. its through bolted and sticks up about a 1/2 an inch or so. One boat has a fighting station the other has a chair. I have never seen the chair leave the garage. The fighting station is used when he takes the boat offshore and removed for inshore fishing.

as far as rod holders go, you can get either 3 or 4 in each gunnel. I also put adjustable ones on the hardtop legs angled out for drift fishing. Additionally, I have another holder mounted between the cup holder and cockpit shower controls next to the rear fishbox. These are all functional and can be fished out of. I also mounted a large bait table to the lid of the rear fishbox which has 3 rod holder mounted to it. these are more for just storage.

drbatts

Reaction score
Model
Express 305
Not the best picture, but you can see my rear bait table with rod holders and flush mount rod holder next to the cockpit shower. It also shows the layout of the rodholders on my 305. 305 stern shot.jpg

Reactions: Mustang65fbk

Hookup1

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Islander
This 5-rod launcher slips into the two existing rod holders. Two aft rods holders. With my narrow beam and always fishing shorthanded I only fish one kite reel (4-clips) plus rigger, deep and flat line. Works well for me.

You have a bigger cockpit so a table style would work.

Rocket Launcher 2.jpeg

Attachments

• Rocket Launcher.jpeg
    Rocket Launcher.jpeg
    556 KB · Views: 9
Last edited:

fedja

Reaction score
Model
Express 330
This 5-rod launcher slips into the two existing rod holders. Two aft rods holders. With my narrow beam and always fishing shorthanded I only fish one kite reel (4-clips) plus rigger, deep and flat line. Works well for me.

You have a bigger cockpit so a table style would work.

View attachment 32162
Thanks! I wish I had some rod holders in the back. I have a huge fishbox, and between the engines that come up against the transom no space for a rack of rod holders..

fedja

Reaction score
Model
Express 330
Pretty much every cockpit rocket launcher, table, fighting chair etc. has a metal base attached to the deck. The accessory of your choosing then mounts to that plate. I have 2 fishing buddies with Tiaras. both boats have a circular plate on the deck. its through bolted and sticks up about a 1/2 an inch or so. One boat has a fighting station the other has a chair. I have never seen the chair leave the garage. The fighting station is used when he takes the boat offshore and removed for inshore fishing.

as far as rod holders go, you can get either 3 or 4 in each gunnel. I also put adjustable ones on the hardtop legs angled out for drift fishing. Additionally, I have another holder mounted between the cup holder and cockpit shower controls next to the rear fishbox. These are all functional and can be fished out of. I also mounted a large bait table to the lid of the rear fishbox which has 3 rod holder mounted to it. these are more for just storage.
Clever solution with bait table...I will have to look into that!

Flot

Reaction score
Model
Express 330
Thanks! I wish I had some rod holders in the back. I have a huge fishbox, and between the engines that come up against the transom no space for a rack of rod holders..
I have F300s, so for me there was no problem putting a 5 rod holder across the back and I troll from the center holder between the motors. (I cannot, however, tilt my motors up with rods in them or they would hit the reels)

However, you still have plenty of room for 3 or even 5 rod holders - one center mounted between the engines, and one or two on the transom door and on the port side. I wouldn't troll off anything attached to the transom door for obvious reasons, but for storage it would work fine. Otherwise, an up-and-over solution should work and clear the motors, a local fabricator should be able to make something for you.

Interesting that you only have 4 on the hardtop piping? I have 6 on my older 330. Also, some folks have put drop racks across the top of the hardtop - challenge of course being that you need a way to get the rods out that high up.

But to answer your actual question - I think you have room but only you will be able to tell exactly what you want to work around. Personally I prefer the cockpit open. Why not mock it up with some plywood?

WilkSea

Reaction score
Model
Express 330
Have a 2022 330 Express and was disappointed with limited rod holders. The sunshade prevents adding a rod holders across the back of the hardtop, and Grady eliminated the 4’th gunwale holder on port side stern. I added one in that spot on gunwale and I had a fabricator build me hardtop rod holders that are easy to access from each side of cockpit and keeps rods out of the way when otherwise fishing. Here’s a pic which u need to zoom in to see along the side of hardtop. I did one along each side for total of 4 additional holders:

IMG_1822.jpeg

Attachments

• IMG_9518.jpeg
    IMG_9518.jpeg
    2.4 MB · Views: 16
Last edited:

fedja

Reaction score
Model
Express 330
Have a 2022 330 Express and was disappointed with limited rod holders. The sunshade prevents adding a rod holders across the back of the hardtop, and Grady eliminated the 4’th gunwale holder on port side stern. I added one in that spot on gunwale and I had a fabricator build me hardtop rod holders that are easy to access from each side of cockpit and keeps rods out of the way when otherwise fishing. Here’s a pic which u need to zoom in to see along the side of hardtop. I did one along each side for total of 4 additional holders:

View attachment 32209
Beautiful Boat! What size Screens were you able to mount on the dashboard?

drbatts

Reaction score
Model
Express 305

That sunscreen definitely is not compatible with a rocket launcher on the hardtop. Interesting solution though. You should add some more gunnel rod holders as they are the most functional. There is plenty of room and it is easy to do. In walking the docks at various marinas, I have seen a few 330's where they use a v-lock mount on port side of the transom box with a starboard bracket for a couple of rod holders.

Fishtales

Reaction score
X2 on the transom mount. The cockpit will get small fast with a table installed. If you do, I'd look for the best removal mount I could find.

WilkSea

Reaction score
Model
Express 330
re adding more gunwale holders…Not an option as I don’t troll and I do a fair amount of inshore light tackle live bait, jig & casting so needed additional holders to be out of way for those reasons.

Hookup1

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Islander
I also carry two 5-rod rod holder clusters when sailfishing. Hand when you want to clear the rods to fight a fish. I don't like fishing out of them though. Nice because you can move them around.