Cockpit Trim Restoration - 1993 Explorer

scottg

Reaction score
The laminate, false wood, cockpit trim is really showing signs of age. Does anyone know of any options to either restore the original look, or to replace the trim?

Thanks,

Scott

1st grady

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
I replaced my plasteak with Grady almond starboard form Finnadict marine. Have him cut pieces to size and you finish or give him the diagrams and he will make them for you.

Patsy Mac

Reaction score
Model
Islander
Pick up a can of Penetrol. It restores the look. I apply it twice a year to the laminate, and it returns it to almost new condition.

Backwash II

Reaction score
My boat's previous owner gave me a can of Penetrol and Golden Teak Oil, and said mix half and half and apply twice a year. Seems to work well. Just doesn't last too long. Good luck.

jpendejo

Reaction score
Grady Plasteak Restoration

I cleaned very thoroughly the Plasteak, using a fine bristle brush and Windex .
I cleaned it twice and then applied a coat of Woodys(blue bottle) and waited a half hour , then applied a second coat and let it dry.

It has held up the best so far. I am located in Jersey, and it is exposed to all of the elements, and it is still brown, and not bleached out white.

I also tried it on the blue rub strip, and it worked great.

goodl luck,

Jim

wrg49

Reaction score
Had the same problem with '94 Explorer.. removed some of the strips and re-laminated with similar woodgrained formica.. then I found an easier solution..use the Penetrol paint additive.. you may have to reapply it from year to year, but sure beats replacing or re-laminating wood strips .

BobP

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
I noticed the duratrim is a double faced product, flip it over and swap sides of boat for asymetrical pices, you will start the trim on it's second life. May hav e afew extra hole sin it, but so what.

Penetrol actually works very well.

Other than penetrol you will have to cut and bond a formica wood grain replica to get back the finish, a lot more work than flipping or penetrol.

pugmation

Reaction score
I have a '94 Adventure and ended up sanding off the old fake wood grain, and then applied WD-40 with a rag a few times. Not perfect, but it restored the brown color to what used to be a worn, faded gray. Just no wood grain anymore.

Jeff

Merculator

Reaction score
If you like the look of real wood you can make yourself some really nice replacment wood panels. I stripped the wood off my old Regal Majestic - it had some nice mahogony rails that I salvaged. I traced out what was left of the original wood grain pattern to make a cardboard template. I then cut two boards out of the rail for each side panel and traced out the pattern using the templates. I seamed the two boards together with glue and drilled some holes to insert dowels to finish the joint. I then routed a small recessed channel in the seam of the two boards. I took an oak dowel flattened one side, beveled the edges, and tacked it in the seam with brass wire brads and some epoxy. A good sanding, a generous coat of varnish and.... done. I re-used the original aluminum trim to cap it off.
http://picasaweb.google.com/Merculator/ ... 5508010050
http://picasaweb.google.com/Merculator/ ... 8239204946
looks like a damn 1950s Cadillac interior or something, gets alot of attention! and theres nothing like the look of real wood.

Lenbythewater

Reaction score
Durable Grady Trim finish

I too have a 1993 Adventure in need of a trim refinish. The March 2009 saltwater mag had an article on the subject. A Matt Wichell of Winchell Marine in Wilmington NC reccomended using a "Bristol" epoxy coating that had a life that outlasts most varnish finishes. I would like to try this to refinish my trim. But,I have not been able to find a source for the Bristol epoxy coating. Are any of you familiar with it or know of a supplier of the product?

BobP

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
If it's duratrim, flip it over and transfer pieces from one side of boat to other, even holes may line up.

ct26159

Reaction score
Faded Trim

I have a 2000 248 Voyager. My trim peices started to fade as well. I got a spray can of outboard motor clear coat from West Marine and applied 5 or 6 coats. It looks awesome!