Coffee Maker for a boat

RussGW270

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Islander
So, was curious... I love my coffee.. lol... but I get that sloshing around is not conducive to making coffee. Curious if any of you have a coffee maker onboard and how well it works for you?

I'd pretty much ditch the frig or microwave for a solid coffee maker.. lol

I get that power is an issue though, so may not be conducive to brewing it on the boat, so may be down to a large thermos, but figured to see what other folks do.

Thanks!

R

DennisG01

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Offshore
Do you have a built-in, marine genny (not a portable - there are many dangers with those on a boat)?

I'll assume "no" for the time being. 12V coffee makers make coffee about as good as they make an anchor. Pitiful. We found that boiling water and using a french press coffee maker works fantastic. Simple, inexpensive and makes great coffee.

Reactions: RussGW270

RussGW270

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Islander
Thanks Dennis, was figuring that would be the "best route" as well. I wish I had a built in generator.. but doubt, seriously, I would be able to fit one in... no idea what I would get or where it would fit.

I was looking at a thread where someone took the refrigerator out and installed an a/c behind it, but I am betting that is for use with shore power.

Not a huge deal, survived all this time without one, I can do that too.. heh.. but, this boat screams "comfort" lol.. so, just was daydreaming.. nothing else to do atm as we are waiting till the boat is back.. till then.. just thinking of the things we can add :p

R

SkunkBoat

Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Model
Express 265
Hot fresh brewed coffee on the boat.....that is a dream still unfulfilled. there isn't a Keurig that'll work without a 2k+ watt generator or inverter with a bunch of batteries....

Everytime I arrive at the boat at 4am with a hot cup...set it down and...

knock it over:mad:
forget about it until noon:eek:
wave goodbye to it as it sits on the dock box while we get underway.o_O

Reactions: Angler Management

RussGW270

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Islander
Lol well, I have a pretty darn good Thermos that keeps the coffee hot all day, just was curious if someone had a better plan;)

RussGW270

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Islander
Blasphemy!! Lol

DennisG01

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Offshore
A/C... a few thousand for the setup... plus at least a couple big batteries and a monster inverter... 'may' get you one night on the hook with A/C. Low amp draw, 12V can do wonders. Google "Endless Breeze" fan. I once ordered about a dozen fans into the store to try them out. Hands down, this was the best combination of air movement, amp draw and low noise.

For the coffee thing... we have an old percolator coffee pot... took the perc parts out and just use it with it's lid to boil the water. This way it's easy to pour into the french press. I gotta tell 'ya, it is pretty nice to get up early when on the hook...calm, quiet, serene... just sitting there enjoying nature with a nice cup of coffee... doesn't get much better than that! Sitting on a couch in a therapist's office can't touch THAT 'therapy'!

Last edited:

RussGW270

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Islander
I’d be totally happy if I can find a safe way to use an old campfire percolator. Old Navy guy, coffee is my weakness;)

As for a/c, personally do not care, but I will move mountains to make my wife comfortable. Will google that, Dennis, thanks. I have been trying to figure out where to add some extra deep cycle batteries anyway, and my buddy and I are big into solar stuff, so who knows;)

dogdoc

Reaction score
Model
Marlin
bringing water safely to a near boil is the first priority. French press is easy but messy to clean up. Pour over is simple and really makes some of the best coffee you can produce, some filters and a holder and you are set. My go to emergency, simplest, and really not bad coffee is Starbucks Via packets. Hot water and a cup and you are set. The blond roast is my favorite. A little pricey but a few cups in a pinch wont break the bank and as they say any port in a storm.

RussGW270

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Islander
All good points. Will try to see what works best when I get to that point. I suspect that enjoying coffee will be a work in progress, but will occur. I'll post a picture of a beautiful sunrise behind a steaming cup of joe one day ;)

R

trapper

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
French press on a camping stove works great!!! trapper

themikehyde

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Website
www.themikehyde.com
On my 23' Wellcraft, I had a 500 or 800 watt inverter. Useless for a coffee pot. I added a 2500 watt, and it worked great for the little Mr. Coffee I had. When I traded it in, the dealer asked why I had the inverter, and I told him,. He liked the idea. Since it was only in when I made coffee, it never caused a battery drain issue.

mleads310

Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
every since I purchased my boat last year I've been dreaming of a way to get a fresh cup of coffee while on the water. Didn't want to use the stove and I was debating adding a battery, invertor setup etc but I've lost too much time the past few weeks installing a replacement windlass on my sailfish. So I just ended up buying this.... But next week I'll give an honest review. I removed the microwave when purchased last year and I'm guessing I can fit it snug in that spot. Screenshot_20190520-001536.png

dogdoc

Reaction score
Model
Marlin
Was in Maine fishing 25 yrs ago. Guide pulled in for shore lunch and started a fire to cook. He made lunch and asked if we wanted coffee, sure we said. He pulled out a porcelain coffee boiler and showed us the contents. It was the ground coffee required and a raw egg wrapped in several paper towels to keep it from breaking. He proceeded to take out the paper towels and break the raw egg in the ground coffee making a slurry. He then dipped water from the lake to fill the pot and put it on the fire to boil awhile. In a few minutes we were served great coffee. When done he showed us the pot contents and it was a black blob of egg and grounds, non of which made it to our coffee. I have done it many times since, on fires and on stoves, using every kind of container that can boil water. Sometimes out of necessity and sometimes just to impress and believe me it always impresses folks!

leeccoll

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
Gotta remember that one, never heard of it before.
On a side note, I went to school at UMO in Bangor, and spent summers painting houses in Portland.
After college I headed to the west coast, the winters were to damn long cold for me.