Coffee Maker for a boat

Fishtales

Reaction score
So the egg somehow keeps the grinds at the bottom of the pot yet allows the coffee to brew? Interesting. Some pics of the process would help visualize it. Who the heck came up with that one!

leeccoll

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
bringing water safely to a near boil is the first priority. French press is easy but messy to clean up. Pour over is simple and really makes some of the best coffee you can produce, some filters and a holder and you are set. My go to emergency, simplest, and really not bad coffee is Starbucks Via packets. Hot water and a cup and you are set. The blond roast is my favorite. A little pricey but a few cups in a pinch wont break the bank and as they say any port in a storm.

Camp a lot, Starbucks via Italian Roast is my go to=strongest.
Also used to heat up milk in microwave at home, stir in the Via, and it was a great tasting latte....preferred it over Starbucks drive through for taste.

EZ turner

Reaction score
Model
Gulfstream
Coleman Portable Instastart Coffee Maker with Carafe and Bag

This might work.

Last edited:

Fishtales

Reaction score
Seems a bit risky for small boat use but an option.

Fishtales

Reaction score
That Makita looks interesting.... That could be the ticket.

Buffalo Btms

Reaction score
Model
Marlin
Been debating the Makita option for awhile. A 5 amp/hr battery brews 4-5 small (5 oz) cups before needing recharge. So, to fill my 20 oz Yeti cup twice requires two $100 batteries and recharge both when back to shore power. Can't justify the investment yet. I'll still take one from shore, or just get excited / less grumpy watching the sunrise and catching fish.

mleads310

Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
Ok Makita is on boat, forgot to take pics I was so giddy,. It's worth it. Makes a cup in 4mins flat. I purchased the charger and 2 batteries on eBay for around $100 total. So total investment $200!. Couple of side notes. Have paper towels on hand to shove in the " water fill area" when your done for the day. A little bit of water stays there and it bothers the crap outta me. I just shove it in there to soak up the last bit of water. Also just like a regular coffee maker, you will want to bring home the cup and coffee slot to clean. And finally, I wish they sold just the cups so I could have a spare.... I may have to use small disposals as I have friends who drink like me.

DennisG01

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Offshore
$200? Holy cow! That's an awful expensive endeavor. But hey, cost aside... 'value' is in the eye of the beholder. I'll stick with my $20 french press :)

I may pick up an extra couple Makita batteries, though, for my tools... that's an awful good price for those. IF they're around for the next 5 years to stand behind their warranty, that's REALLY good.

mleads310

Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
Originally I went about looking for a way to make coffee on the boat. Rocking and rolling while fishing, so the burner was out of the question. Regular coffee maker or kuerege required wiring, invertor, batteries, etc.....added up to almost $1000, That's definitely out of the question. 12 volt maker, they suck. So For under $200 I finally get to have coffee on the boat without burning it down and with $800 to spare ....sorta lol. But I agree at first it's a hit to the wallet, but it's the price of happiness, which for me is a hot cup of coffee in the water.

Definitely jump on the batteries, I'm sure they are knock offs but the charger couldn't tell the difference and coffee maker seemed happy with them.

Wheelman

Reaction score
In the overlanding world, our two priorities are size and efficiency... same as in the boating world. If someone can come up with a better performer than the aforementioned JetBoil, bring it on.

GradyChris

Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
Coleman Portable Instastart Coffee Maker with Carafe and Bag

This might work.
I bought one and have used it 2x on the boat so far...the past 2 Sunday AM
Works pretty well....brew cycle is a bit long at approx 15 mins but figure I'm already using propane outside for the boat grill so this is workable as well.
It has 4 rubber feet which keeps it pretty stable...wouldnt want to do it in pitching seas but starting the pot at 530 when your on a mooring somewhere and water is glass is a nice way to start the day