Coil went bad on center cylinder starboard side

capt chris

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Ohio River Louisville, Ky./Lake Cumberland, Ky
Friends,
Was out on my '08 225 on the Ohio River over the weekend when the F250 seemed to lose some of it's power and torque. It would still run but has a miss to it and I couldn't get it much over 5000 RPM WOT. The MPG indicator was only showing at best about 2.8 @ 4000 RPM. It's usually 3.3 -3.5 properly trimmed out at 4000. The engine only has about 125 hrs on it and has been running fine since the 100 Hr service at the end of last season. Took it to my local Yamaha dealer Monday AM. He called me Monday night and he asked me if I trolled a lot or ran @ idle speed a lot because the motor seemed to be "making oil". I told him I didn't. Called him back Wednesday AM to get an update and he said the computer showed that the coil on the center cylinder on the starboard side of the motor was bad. Yamaha replaced it under warranty as well as all 6 plugs. The dealer pumped out the excess crankcase oil and I got the boat back today. No charge to me, all under warranty. I guess that dead cylinder caused the "making oil" with the blow by from having a dead coil.
Yamaha said they have never had a coil go bad like this. Have any of you all ever experienced anything similar to this? I'm completely satisfied with how the problem was resolved, I'm just curious if it really is that rare of a situation or if I should get ready for the other five coils to go bad as well.

Tashmoo

Reaction score
No, I have not experienced anything like this.

The comment about making oil is curious (I am being generous). If your oil level increased it was due to unburned gas getting past the rings into the oil and not magically because it was "making oil". Thankfully you caught it before you hydro-locked a piston.

If it is in fact making oil you better get the rights to that baby protected fast cause you’re going to be rich.

no problem

Reaction score
Congrats on the easy fix. If the dealer only removed the excess, didn't they leave you with oil that was diluted with gasoline? I would think an oil change would have been needed. Just my $.02

capt chris

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Thanks Tashmoo,
I understand what making oil really is and I'm sure it was caused by exactly what you said due to the unburnt fuel in the cylinder with the bad coil. My question was really to see if anyone had ever had a coil go bad on their engine.

capt chris

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
no problem said:
Congrats on the easy fix. If the dealer only removed the excess, didn't they leave you with oil that was diluted with gasoline? I would think an oil change would have been needed. Just my $.02
Good point and I asked them about that. They said that the oil was practically new and that there was not a real strong odor or presence of fuel in it. They really didn't think it would be necessary at this point. I'll keep a close eye on it though.