combing bolster foam question

suzukidave

Reaction score
i have read here enough to believe i can diy this. i just got a sample verifying the nassimi seaquest chalk is an exact match.

leaning towards dryfast foam. question is how thick? any suggestions on what/where to order?

seasick

Reaction score
I redid my bolsters using Dryfast. I bought the 4 in thick version. I trimmed/shaped it using an electric carving knife.
Liquids pass right through it like it wasn't there. That's the good news.
The bad news is that the recommended contact cement also passes right through it so gluing pieces to form a specific shape can be challenging.

seasick

Reaction score
Sorry, I forgot to add that I am pretty sure I used the Foam Factory. The Dryfast isn't cheap. A half sheet which is 24 by 90 inches or so and 4 inches thick runs about $150. It was a few years ago that I redid my bolsters.

suzukidave

Reaction score
thanks on all counts. foam factory has a canadian site with free shipping and it will custom cut the foam, which is like finding a unicorn that plays hockey.

did you use the full 4" or carve it to a crown or does your bolster maybe have sides and welting? my original bolster is currently under 2" deep and the pleats just wrap around to the back. i figured i would need to add more foam than is there but 4" seems like a lot.

seasick

Reaction score
suzukidave said:
thanks on all counts. foam factory has a canadian site with free shipping and it will custom cut the foam, which is like finding a unicorn that plays hockey.

did you use the full 4" or carve it to a crown or does your bolster maybe have sides and welting? my original bolster is currently under 2" deep and the pleats just wrap around to the back. i figured i would need to add more foam than is there but 4" seems like a lot.
My bolsters were deep with welting and sewn pieced corners . The corners were tricky to fabricate. I used the electric carving knife to round the edges as well as shape the corners. The corners required gluing of several pieces to match the original construction.I also used vented mesh on the bottom side same as the originals had. So for the job, I needed pleated vinly (Seaquest), plain sheet vinyl(Seaquest_, mesh for the bottom, welting(Also Seaquest), foam, grommets and monel staples.
I used an industrial sewing machine. It was a lot of work but the bolsters ended up looking factory new and have held up well for the last three or four seasons.
In your case, wrapping the vinyl around the back makes the job easier and if you don't have a rounded inside corner, an even easier job. Note that you should use monel and not stainless staples. Read the box for the stainless and it will specifically mention that they are not intended for marine use. Monel is tough to find, you will have to look online and you will need a lot of staples. That said, buy an inexpensive electric or pneumatic stapler ( Harbor Freight). Your hands will thank you.

seasick

Reaction score
Oops,
I ran across some leftover foam from my bolster project a few years ago and realize that I used the 2 inch material, not the 4 inch. Age related memory loss I guess