Command Link Plus 6Y9 Replacement

ScituateBoater

Reaction score
Model
Freedom 235
The previous owner removed the bezel and I think there's water damage. Has anyone replaced a 6Y9 gauge and have any documentation or recommendations? Thanks!

seasick

Reaction score
A photo would help. I also don't know what you mean by "I think there is water damage"
The bezel you are referring to, is that the sun cover?
The gauge itself generally is water proof (resistant).

ScituateBoater

Reaction score
Model
Freedom 235
Thanks for the response! The gauge continuously beeps and flickers between the combo screen and settings screen.

ScituateBoater

Reaction score
Model
Freedom 235
The pictures are too large to attached. Still trying to load one

seasick

Reaction score
you are correct. The actual gauge bezel is missing. I don't know if that means that water can seep in but your gauge doesn't look too badly damaged.
Unfortunately new gauge is pretty expensive.
You can buy a new bezel but at just under $200 it would not be a good decision if the gauge itself is bad. Did this gauge ever work while you owned the boat?
Do you have the manual with the configuration instructions? One thing to note is that the 6Y9 Plus can only be used on Digital Electric Control engines. Is your motor A DEC model?

New bezel
I think you can view the manual here

everwhom

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
I think if the gauge doesn't work without the bezel, replacing it isn't going to fix it!

I'm guessing the previous owner tried to fix it (unsuccessfully) and broke the original bezel...

Reactions: SkunkBoat

ScituateBoater

Reaction score
Model
Freedom 235
you are correct. The actual gauge bezel is missing. I don't know if that means that water can seep in but your gauge doesn't look too badly damaged.
Unfortunately new gauge is pretty expensive.
You can buy a new bezel but at just under $200 it would not be a good decision if the gauge itself is bad. Did this gauge ever work while you owned the boat?
Do you have the manual with the configuration instructions? One thing to note is that the 6Y9 Plus can only be used on Digital Electric Control engines. Is your motor A DEC model?

New bezel
I think you can view the manual here

ScituateBoater

Reaction score
Model
Freedom 235
The gauge was working last season and until last week. Minutes after filling the gas tank it failed. A few days before that, I replaced the batteries. Yesterday, I removed the batteries and checked the charge, and reinstalled them. Assuming refilling and battery replacement did not cause the problem. Thanks!

SkunkBoat

Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Model
Express 265
The battery work may have something to do with it.
I would meticulously check every ground connection.
Often a ground missing on the House is not immediately noticed until you turn on more and more things

The tank ground is important too.
Without getting too into the weeds ...in certain cases, when there is a ground missing somewhere, the tank circuit acts as a path to ground and changing the fuel level (or turning on the gauge or switching the gauge between tanks) changes the voltage drop on the tank sensor and "removes" the ground felt there.

I have experienced similar problems when the House ground was not connected well.
Also, are you sure there are no other symptoms besides the gauge?

Last edited:

ScituateBoater

Reaction score
Model
Freedom 235
Thank you for the excellent insight. I’m Friday my charterplotter began flashing when traveling fast In heavy chop. After checking the battery charge and reinstalling, the plotter is not flashing.
There’s a green connection to a negative terminal that I thought was the only ground. Not very knowledgeable. Took pictures of the battery connections. They are very tight

ScituateBoater

Reaction score
Model
Freedom 235
Also, I replaced the fuel water separator after installing the batteries

everwhom

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Hmm - my best guess is that some water got behind the silicone seal on the right and is shorting out one of the buttons, possibly the menu button given what you're seeing. It may be possible to clean the contacts under the seal, but you might want to see if you know an experienced electronics hobbyist to help you.

If you do go at it, make sure the power is off and if moisture did indeed get under the seal, you'll have to find a way to reseal it from further moisture. If you do get it working, I'd replace the bezel as it may help to keep water out!

ScituateBoater

Reaction score
Model
Freedom 235
Hmm - my best guess is that some water got behind the silicone seal on the right and is shorting out one of the buttons, possibly the menu button given what you're seeing. It may be possible to clean the contacts under the seal, but you might want to see if you know an experienced electronics hobbyist to help you.

If you do go at it, make sure the power is off and if moisture did indeed get under the seal, you'll have to find a way to reseal it from further moisture. If you do get it working, I'd replace the bezel as it may help to keep water out!
Thanks! Yes, that would be worth trying before replacement. Much appreciated!!