Comparing 273 Chase vs 282 Sailfish

Finatic

Reaction score
I know this is like comparing apples to oranges but I'm in the process of moving up from my 232 Gulfstream and I was wondering if anyone has experienced the ride of both boats. I've fished on a 282 many times and it is a great boat, everything is laid out very well and I like the ride when fishing offshore. The only major downfall I see with the 282 is the fish boxes are way to small. I used to own a 222 and the versatility of the center console was nice, really enjoyed the 360 degrees of fishing space. I've never ridden or fished off a 273 Chase but that boat is very interesting to me. So at this point, I think I've narrowed my search down to the 273 and the 282. I would say that I use my boat 75% of the time for offshore fishing and 25% of the time for family activities. My kids are now 5 and 8 and they are expressing more interest in fishing trips. The idea of going back to a center console seems very intriguing, this would allow me to help them fish while keep a hand at the helm since the bay can be a zoo with boat traffic on the weekends. Hopefully someone can chime in and provide their experience between the 273 and 282. Thanks.

SmokyMtnGrady

Reaction score
You are a dad so you know the importance of shelter in inclimate weather. I have the trade for shelter over fishability. Your kids in 5 years will be teenagers. You will likely be fishing more and more with them The question seems to me is which boat offers you the peace of mind being. 30 off and in a rain storm with your teenage kids? My bias is I have never been a fan of center consoles largely becuase the crew is exposed. Now those center consoles pushing 50 feet offer cabin and such, I am talking about boats under 30 feet.

I imagine they would ride slightly different as a walk around has more weight forward. How different I do not know. I have gone back and forth myself on trading up. I like the Islander becuase I need to trailer hours to get to the ocean. Anyway, enjoy your search.

ocnslr

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Islander
I haven't fished on a 282, but I imagine its has as much or more fishbox capacity as we do.

We have certainly filled the fishbox at times, and that's why we have a canyon bag with us. Take it all the time, but have only used it a few times.

I have to agree with Smoky about the greater shelter of the walk around. I can't imagine making the runs to the Norfolk Canyon in a CC.

And you are comparing apples to oranges. Not just the WA vs CC, but the 282 is a much bigger boat.

Good luck whichever way you go.

Brian

Finatic

Reaction score
Thanks fellows for the advice. I could not agree more that the walkaround and protection with the 282 is ideal for offshore. Plus I like the aft berth for storing my life raft. Currently I store my raft in the v berth of my Gulfstream which makes things extremely tight. I feel that the boxes of the 282 should be a lot larger for a boat that size but carrying a canyon bag is not a big deal, always keep one on my Gulfstream and needed a few times for makos and large wahoos. The 273 would just work better when the kids want to spend a few hours flounder fishing in the bay. I guess I just need to convince my wife to let me buy 2 boats...not going to happen. Thanks and keep the suggestions coming.

Reaction score
Guess I'll be the first one to chime in supporting the CC side. I currently have the Chase 273 and wouldn't trade it for anything....except maybe a Bimini 306. The boat is a hands down fishing machine and is a "big boat". The ride is very soft and comfortable...depending on how you run a boat. We run comfortably and not wide open everywhere we go. You mentioned one thing that at times can be very vital...the ability to fish around the boat 360 degrees. There are many scenarios that being able to fish all the way around the boat is very beneficial. Some will argue that you can fish around a walk around boat...is very true...but not as easy. My friend has a 282 and while it is a bit wider...when I bottom fish with him we both are standing at the back of the boat and depending upon the drift we both may be on the same side of the boat and if you put 3-4 people on a 282...that isn't very comfortable. Put that same number of folks on the Chase 273 and all 4 will be able to fish the same side of the boat if needed without being right on top of each other. The other thing that is very impressive to me is the size of the head...I've been on some center consoles of other makes and couldn't even stand up in them...I can completely walk down into mine and stand up without worrying about hitting my head...and I'm 5'11". Just food for thought...everyone has their own opinions and different uses. I will also add this...I moved up from a Gulfstream 232 to a Grady Fisherman 24 Center Console and now have the Chase 273.