Compass location revisited.

SkunkBoat

Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Model
Express 265
.... as an update I had purchased a new compass (throwing spaghetti) thinking the old one was bad. It wasn't. Same reaction observed. My belief is the steering unit is the culprit. I had asked the local electronics guy if he had a Degaussing tool ... His response : What's that ? At that point I had nothing to say and just laughed. In the meantime My auto pilot digital readout and GPS compass read outs suffice. I keep a very good Suunto KB compass onboard. The mounted one is for looks only
hehehe.. I was a teenage TV repair man in 1979. I guess there is not much use for a degaussing coil in this century.

seasick

Reaction score
By same outcome, you mean the compass needle is always pinned to the same reading?
If so, I would call the pump manufacturer to see if that have ant suggestions. You may need to relocate the pump.

Pat Hurley

Reaction score
Model
Marlin
hehehe.. I was a teenage TV repair man in 1979. I guess there is not much use for a degaussing coil in this century.
Ahhhh ... the good ole' days. There were still Drive in theaters back then. Sneaked in the trunk of the car many times in the 70's

seasick

Reaction score
Ahhhh ... the good ole' days. There were still Drive in theaters back then. Sneaked in the trunk of the car many times in the 70's
Assuming the new pump has a permanent magnet motor, degaussing wouldn't be such a good idea (nor would it most likely be possible). :)

Many ears back I worked on a project that used lots of small cube speakers. Stray magnetic fields were a problem for adjacent electronics so the maker of the speakers fixed the problem by mounting a second speaker magnet in the opposite orientation to the one in the actual speaker. Worked like a charm. I didn't think of that solution and I am not sure why it worked so well:)