Compass Replacement

Green Mountain Grady

Reaction score
I need to replace my helm compass on a 1991 Tournament 225. Any tips on removing it and where to get a replacement would be much appreciated. Thanks!

ElyseM

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
the brand should be indicated right on the compass. compasses haven't really changed much so you may be able to get the exact model and drop it in the hole. if you have access below, look for mounting screws, if not should be about three screws on the compass bezel that look different from the compensating screws (but since you're trashing it, take all the screws out if you can't tell). ron

jweschler

Reaction score
I replaced mine this past spring and I bought a ritchie compass that matche,d but I had to order a larger ring to fill the gap of the older compass. See Below.......

RITCHIE NAVIGATION Flush-Mount Voyager Compass, PowerDamp Flat Dial, Black
HF-743 - Helmsman (Flush Mount)
Requires a 4 1/4"diameter mounting hole

H-ABLK Ritchie Helmsman Adapter - Black
Adapter Rings Available. Sold separately. 6" (15.24) Retrofits Existing Mounting Hole for Model No. HF-72 order H-ABLK
Use to retrofit existing mounting hole sizes 4 1/4 to 5 inches in diameter.

markb8608

Reaction score
Hi
I bought a recent Richie Light for my compass. Be careful- the three recessed machine screws on bezel hold the oil/liquid inside.
Mark

Bob's Cay

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
My original compass leaked the fluid out and I was going to replace it. Instead I sent it to Ritchie for service and it came back in brand new condition. I think it waqs about $80 and only took a couple of weeks.

weatherbymag

Reaction score
i have an 87 gulfstream..

how can you tell who made it back them.

my glass has cracked and leaked out the fliud...

Sully4755

Reaction score
I have a 1989 Seafarer and it has a Ritchie Supersport compass. It has a blue card with Ritchie on it. I e-mailed Ritchie and they will rebuild it to new condition for $105.00, and it will take about one week.

Sully4755

Reaction score
Weatherbymag, I see you are in Mass. Thats where Ritchie compass is located.

Fishtales

Reaction score
You can mail it in, or drop in during business hours. Take Expressway to Rt.3 South, take exit 12 Rt. 130 Marshfield/Pembroke. Take left off the ramp and at the first light take a left onto Oak Street. Just a short way down on the left.

I had one that got an air bubble in it. I dropped it off and picked up in 2 weeks. It wasn't even mine, they replaced it with a new one for free!!

Great bunch of folks there.

weatherbymag

Reaction score
thanks to all for the feedback.

My dad dropped the compass off with Ritchie2 weeks ago. Today he picked it up, $57 for parts and $37 for labor I have an brand new ritchie navigator compass.

they even game me a new gaskets..

Well worth it to take the time to send the compass in for a rebuild than having to buy new..