Compound, polish , Collinites using a new DeWalt polisher

SmokyMtnGrady

Reaction score
Greetings Guys. I spent the afternoon and into the evening today compounding polishing and waxing the front half of the boat topsides only. I used 3M marine rubbing compound, 3M Finesse it2, and waxed with Collinites 925. This is my first legitimate compound and polish job since owning a boat ever. I have a DeWalt 20 Volt XR 5 inch random orbital polisher. I bought 5 inch Velcro pads from Chemical Guys .

16374.jpegIMG_20220605_193015529.jpg16385.jpeg16357.jpegIMG_20220605_191308754.jpg

Parthery

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
You missed a spot.:D

Seriously, looks good.

Chemical Guys has opened 3 retail stores here in Atlanta with all their products and some other stuff under one roof. Neat place to mess around in.

• Haha
Reactions: SmokyMtnGrady

SmokyMtnGrady

Reaction score

Seriously, looks good.

Chemical Guys has opened 3 retail stores here in Atlanta with all their products and some other stuff under one roof. Neat place to mess around in.
I might need to take a field trip.

SmokyMtnGrady

Reaction score

Seriously, looks good.

So I was polishing it with Finesse it 2 glaze using their white hex foam pad. I was doing the outside "wall" of the walk-around space and got to the anchor locker . I accidentally increased the RPMs on the DeWalt and at the same I was near the hinges of the locker . I touched the hinges at this higher RPM and it ripped the outside edge of the hex pad quickly. I bought 3 pads on line but you gotta be mindful of hardware and your tools.

wrxhoon

Reaction score
Good work Smoky, 3M and Collinite excellent products, I use the 885. Now you have to do the rest. I find it much easier to clean the boat after a fishing trip if she waxed once a year.

Reactions: SmokyMtnGrady

Joe Hurley

Reaction score
Model
Tigercat
What battery did you run in the Dewalt Smoky? I went out and bought the new power stack batteries + the expensive fast charger and was very disappointed. Running the machine on the 5500 rpm setting with finess it2 I got maybe 10 minutes of run time at best.

Fishtales

Reaction score
Looks fine. Just be careful of compounds, the problem is they take more gelcoat off than a cleaner like Collinite. I find the older gelcoat will last about a season shiny and you'll be doing it again next year. The years add up and the gelcoat can be worn thin/away in the past. I have not had that issue with the Collinite.

Mark DV

Reaction score
Model
Adventure
Looks good. What velcro buffing pads did you get?

blindmullet

Reaction score
Model
Explorer
Take a look at the Starke line. If anyone has a chalky boat the Level R is amazing. I ditched the Presta last year after talking to a detailer and giving it a try.