Concerned about F225 exhaust corrosion and oil seal problem

Oceanbean

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Hi all,

Looking at a 2004 GW with F225's model year 04 too. Low hours. Plenty of posts out there including on this site concerning the exhaust corrosion problem. There seems to be another problem with crank case oil seals. Motors ran great during sea trial. They meet all performance specs and computer readouts for motors look good. These two forementioned problems are concerning. Are these problems as prevalent as the impression one gets from the internet? Anyway to know when/if any corrective action was implemented to address problem and if these motors are or not predisposed. Any thoughts and guidance is appreciated.

Oceanbean
Current boat is a 1993 Explorer 245 with VP I/O

max366

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Re: Concerned about F225 exhaust corrosion and oil seal prob

I bought the same motors on a 2004 265 Express last fall and had the same concerns. They checked out perfectly mechanically. I talked to three different repair places with Yamaha certified mechanics around Falmouth MA about the corrosion issue and they all said they have never seen the corrosion and, at the request of the owners, they checked a number of them with a borescope. They attribute ithe lack of the problem to cold water, compared to what you read on the internet (THT) for Florida boats. I found comfort that all three said the same thing.

I did buy a borescope and will see for myself when I change the water pumps in the next few weeks before launching.

Hope that helps somewhat.

wdlfbio

Reaction score

Brother bought a 2003 Parker with a 2002 F225 from Florida two years ago. Thought everything was fine til last month. He's looking at 3k in repairs from corrosion, pending final teardown. I figured I'd play it safe as possible and bought an '07 with F250s for my 282. And dang, I sure do appreciate the extra power!

Grady678

Reaction score

Yes, the problem does exist on older model 225's although is half of the magnitude people describe this on other websites. I had a certified Yamaha mechanic go over mine with a fine tooth comb and never suggested corrosion was prevelant enough to drop the lower units to inspect. So caught up in this whirlwind of doubt, I ultimately had them inspected when they dropped the lower units to swap out impeller housing. Minor pitting only.

In short, it was a faulty coating that was corrected around 04 05. Make an offer pending engine survey and pay the extra money to have the lower units dropped and scoped.

Oceanbean

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score

Thank you guys. I'm doing exactly what Grady678 suggests. Lower units are being dropped and exhaust housing are being scoped by an experienced Yamaha tech that has done many of these.
Word is - fairly common on 01-03 F225's, hit or miss on 04's or 05's. I'll let you all know how it turns out.

Oceanbean