Considering 25' 1984 Sailfish with newer 4 stroke's

r16409

Reaction score
Hi all and thank you for such a great site and all the input from Grady Enthusiasts. Considering a 1984 Grady-White 25' Sailfish that has been re-powered with newer 200 HP Yamaha 4-Strokes, w/full electronics and appears to have been well cared for and wanted some advise of what look for. I know about checking transom for dry-rot. Also read that the stringers can have issues as well as to see if the original scuppers/waterline was impacted by the additional weight from the heaver 4-strokes. I also have read that the newer hulls have a better ride, especially in rougher conditions -- not sure what year the 25' Sailfish transitioned to the newer hull but I suspect it was way after 1984. Ride quality is important to me so after discovering that the older models do not have the same as the newer models I am really leaning for a newer model and paying more for it as well. This boat is for 25k with no trailer.

Any thoughts/advise greatly appreciated.

Clockwork

Reaction score
yes the 84 is the older style hull. it may not be as good as the new style but its still very good and not many fishing boats ride better.

no problem

Reaction score
The first year for the new hull in the 25 is 1992. What year and hours are those motors. Expect a fair amount of repairs and replacements on any 84 or 92 boat. Try the search function on this forum. There's lots of stuff we could throw at you to scare you off. 27 year old hoses, clamps, wiring, the bulkhead at your feet when at the helm rots, are the thru hulls metal? I've had all those and more and I love mine! We've all been there. Pictures would help. Good luck