Considering a ‘79 240 Offshore - What is a dealkiller?

cbartle60

Reaction score
Model
Offshore
It has a new transom what else should I look for/be concerned about in one this old? I plan on rewiring it. Thanks much!

RussGW270

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Islander
+10000 above. That old, don't risk it by trying to save the money. Professional survey.

Reactions: cbartle60

Ky Grady

GreatGrady Captain
Staff member
Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
Not sure of the material used back then, but fuel tanks and lines that old would be high on my list to have checked.

VeroWing

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
I would want the stringers to be thoroughly looked at. Especially in the compartments under cockpit that that let in lots of water. Electrical could be trouble too.

Fishtales

Reaction score
Previous damage on the hull and serious motor issues; both should be covered by the survey. Coring on decks, stringers and anything else wood. You should plan to review wiring as you plan, hoses, pumps and steering.

cbartle60

Reaction score
Model
Offshore
Thanks all, had the survey done and feel it was worth every penny because it helped me convince my wife that it’s a good boat! Will post some updates when I get it home in my shop. I grew up on Grady’s so I’m thrilled to get back in one soon... it’s been too long. Our first one was a 1983 204C, then a 240 and finally a Sailfish. All fantastic rough water fish raisers from Florida to Cape Hatteras. This forum is full of so much great info and I’m so happy to be a part of it. Does anyone know if there’s a Grady club in North Florida?

Reactions: HTHM and leeccoll

HTHM

Reaction score
Post some pics when you can. Congrats on the new boat! I hope to join the club as well, when I find the right one.

cbartle60

Reaction score
Model
Offshore
I'll definitely post pics once I get it home. For anyone interested in a great Surveyor, I highly recommend Steve Smith with Pilothouse Marine Services:
https://www.pilothousemarineservices.com/
He rearranged his schedule to fit me in quickly and provided a very thorough survey report. He may cost a little more but he is well worth every penny.

Ratical

Reaction score
I have 1989 24 offshore I totally restored. Plan on all electronics, wiring and fuse panel, fuel tank, fuel lines and steering. I also added bigger trim tabs. I put a single yamaha 250 four stroke on her and she performs pretty good. I have 100 gal tank and usually run 100 miles round trip, when I run I burn anywhere from 45-50 gal of fuel. WOT is 30 mph she likes to cruise at 4000 17-22 knotts depends on the sea. At fishing weight loaded with fuel, Ice,four people and gear im at 4200 cruise 17-22 knots.

cbartle60

Reaction score
Model
Offshore
That’s great information thanks for sharing. Planning on rewiring and changing out the fuel tank if necessary. Is there anyway to test the fuel tank for leaks without removing and inspecting?

Ratical

Reaction score
That’s great information thanks for sharing. Planning on rewiring and changing out the fuel tank if necessary. Is there anyway to test the fuel tank for leaks without removing and inspecting?

I have to admit getting the tank out is not that big of a deal probably take ya about 45 min to an hr. I would pull it and inspect. I had a buddy pressure test and it was fine. Then after a couple trips off shore it cracked and i had fuel in the bilge. i would definitely visually inspect.

cbartle60

Reaction score
Model
Offshore
I finally got the boat home but it looks like somebody broke into the cabin door...didn’t keep me from buying it but now I have to either try to repair it or replace it with either wood or starboard...any recommendations? Thanks

cbartle60

Reaction score
Model
Offshore
Oops please forgive me I double posted the same picture. Also forgot to mention the broken teak trim. Here’s a pic of the boat behind my Tahoe on the way home...505 miles and luckily no trailer issues!858B6D64-A8E0-4EF1-99D1-452779E72564.jpeg

cbartle60

Reaction score
Model
Offshore
The boat is in great shape for its age but does have a soft spot in the floor panel over the fuel tank...that’s second on my long list after the cabin door. Third will be removing the name off the side... don’t think I’ll rename it though because that’s supposed to be bad luck and I certainly don’t need any of that!