Considering Grady Fisherman 222 vs Adverture 20'

jdflwrs

Reaction score
My first post to this site: I would appreciate input/opinions of Grady Fisherman 222 vs Adventure, the 20'. I have not owned a Grady White but after much consideration reviewing quality and layout of many manufacturers, the 222 seems a very good fit for me. Main use will be fishing the Great Lakes, mainly Lk Michigan for Salmon/seelhead and Lake Erie walleye. Another key consideration is I will be trailering almost each time used from central michigan. Travel will be aprox 160 miles to Lk Mi and aprox 50 miles to Lk Erie. I really like the layout of the 222, the open transom area plus the head in the console. The 20' benefit may be lighter and easier to trailer but maybe not as seaworthy. My tow vehical can handle either, a full size gm pickup.

I dont see hardly any info regarding the 222 here. Are they very popular? The little I have seen of them leads me to think would be very good for me. I would really appreciate input.

My last boat was a mako 191 center consol which I liked much but I think the extra size I am considering with Grady would be a real benefit in increased sea worthiness even though added weight will increase fuel consumption for both towing and trolling.

jdflwrs

Reaction score
I mean the Escape for the 20' option, not the adventure

I mean the Escape for the 20' option, not the adventure. I mentioned I am new to Grady. I am considering either the Fisherman 222 or the Escape 208. The center consoles.

jaydub

Reaction score
I've had a 222 for 3 years and love it. I fish only in Florida now but I've towed it to northern Illinois and back and had it out on Lake Michigan. The boat is towable with a full size truck/SUV; I towed it with a GMC Yukon 1500 and it did fine. Total weight about 5500 pounds.

If you are going to use it on the Great Lakes, I'd go with the 222 over the 20. Lake MI can get pretty rough. When I was looking around, I looked at the 20 but the 222 gave me a bit more length to handle the unexpected chop that can kick up quickly. Also the 222 had an enclosed head which the 20 didn't and the family demanded it. I don't have the eisenglass curtains installed but if I fished the great Lakes I would invest I them. That water is COLD and because it is a CC, when the wind/chop kicks up you can get wet. The curtains will help.

Good luck and hope that helps. Let me know if you have more questions.

jdflwrs

Reaction score
the motor size for 222

Thanks for the input Jaydub. Good info. I appreciate it.

Regarding the motor size on the 222: I see you have the 250. I am thinking that would be the best option for me. At what spead does that cruse? What is the top speed. Not a major issue but I find the high 40's mph a nice thing to have when water permits to get to where Im going. Probably nothing compared to what you saltwater guys but sometimes I will run 15 to 20 miles and the extra speed is nice.

I see some fo the 222 have the 225 hp or 200 hp. How do thoes compare. Is there much of a tradeoff with fuel usage?

Another thing, do these boats have live wells for bait? Seems only fishboxes. Again, not a major issue but would be nice to have a live baitwell.

Thanks again for the info. I really appreciate it.

jaydub

Reaction score
The 250 runs around 48 mph top end in ideal conditions and cruises at 30 mph at 4000 rpm. I run about 3.3 mpg unless things get windy and sloppy then obviously that goes down. I have a 23 gal live well which is a must for me but this is an option, so not all 222's may have one. Three fish boxes too that can also be used for dry storage.

Not sure how the 225 HP and 200 HP would compare. I would be very hesitant to put a 200 on the boat, but the 225 should be fine. I like the 250 since it give me plenty of power when I need it.; gets the boat on plane fast. Yamaha recommends 89 octane for this motor FYI.