Considering moving up - thoughts?

Bigfoot

Reaction score
Considering moving up,

Current ride 1990 Overnighter with 2003 Yamaha 200 Four stroke, trim tabs, FF! Stereo trailer - 300 hours on motor and serviced by Tech at all intervals - runs and rides great.

I'm on Lake Lanier and have room at the dock for 2 more feet, I've had my Overnighter for several years and like the boat and performance, but, but, but....

Would jumping up to a used 22 with Four stroke and bracket be worth the hassle and dollars???

VeroWing

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
I always felt that a 22' Grady Seafarer is the perfect size. I've had two of them. Big enough to go out in the big water, yet still able to trailer without any hassle. If you do move up, try to get a 1998 or newer with the newer designed hull.

magicalbill

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Marlin
VeroWing is right about the Seafarer. I had a '92, which I think was the beginning of the Seav2 hull design.

Great boat, as he mentioned, but I don't think the trade up will be of any advantage to you on Lanier. All you have to worry about there is boat wakes with the occasional choppy day when cold fronts roar thru N. Georgia. Your Overnighter will handle that almost as well and you already have it. Unless you just want a bigger boat, there wouldn't be enough difference in calm waters to justify the extra money.

If you plan on trailering to larger waters, then, yes, it's a smart upgrade, but I wouldn't make the jump if you stay on Lanier or similar inland lakes.

SmokyMtnGrady

Reaction score
I am in a similar place. I have a 228 and would like to get a bigger boat. However, 2/3 of my boating season is spent on Fontana Lake and 1/3 in terms of hours spent on the motor is in saltwater. I think the 228 is a great do it all boat from water sports on the lake to offshore fishing.

Smart or wise use of money and boats dont always go together. If you want a bigger boat and your budget allows it then do it. There are guys on Lanier with 28 foot sea ray cabin cruisers which seems like a waste to me but it aint my life or boat so what ever.

Parthery

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
A move up from an Overnighter to a Seafarer will net you the Sea V2 hull....marginally more space in the cabin....more space in the cockpit...and depending on whether you go 226 or 228 - the bracket.

It's not too big for Lanier...I've run a 208, 223, 225 (twice), 226 and 228....when you get the washing machine effect in the summer the additional 2' underneath you will make a difference.

As for towing, a 22' is no more difficult to tow, launch or load than a 20'...as long as you have a decent trailer that is set up for the boat. I tow with either a Tahoe or Yukon routinely between the ATL and FL....

Parthery

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Even on the 22', the term "usable" is relative....I'm 6'3 and a few more lbs then you....it wasn't real comfortable.

I found the cabin became a storage closet.....a good bimini worked just as well to keep folks out of the sun....hence my move to a DC....

Biscayne208

Reaction score
Big difference between Overnighter and new Seafarer. If it was a SEAV2 Adventure I would tell you to stay put. A 228 Seafarer would make you very happy.

Bigfoot

Reaction score
Ok then, thank you for all the replies - has me thinking to really move up top see the difference...

My dock can handle about 28 ft, but my wallet cannot....what is out there that is above the 228 that wont hurt me $ too much???

Bigfoot

Reaction score
after searching, the next step up is not out there at a reasonable price.....came up with plenty to keep what I have...for now with a watchful eye out for the right deal...looks like another Season in the 204C

nice to like what you have and not rush to a snappy purchase, not to mention saving a few more bucks along the way

Bigfoot

Reaction score
Update - After a good cleaning, perfect weather here for 5 straights days, dinner by boat, cruising around- I'm back in love with my Overnighter with 200 Four stroke power with trim tabs....

Good to go, thanks for the replies.

May upgrade my stereo and consider hard top.

SmokyMtnGrady

Reaction score
You know gentlemen we really need to do a Lanier Grady event this summer. Though I am in NC I am about 2 hours from Lanier. What do you think?

Parthery

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
You, Bigfoot, me, JiminGa (although his boat is in SC now), Bob's Cay, sounds like a plan......