Considering moving up

Bigfoot

Reaction score
Hey guys,

Figured I'd pass this by the ones in the know...considering moving up from my 20 Overnighter with F200 we have owned for the last 5 years. Great boat, runs excellent and all - BUT, we have a Grandson now and need more space for the family.

Mainly lake use on Lanier north of Atlanta. Question, do I skip the 228g and make a bigger leap to something with twins?

My only must is 4stoker Yamahas as a used price fits our budget - so will have to be repowered or fairly new.

Whats out there in the over 228g range or is the 228g allot more boat than our Overnighter? Not worried about trailering as it will be moored.

Thanks GW Forum in advance for the replies...

Parthery

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Do you need the cuddy? If not, would a dual console make more sense? GW now makes 225, 255, 275, etc... You are limited only by the size of your slip (or tow vehicle) and the depth of your wallet.

You are welcome to crawl around on my 225 and see how it rides on the lake....send me a PM if you want to meet up there sometime....where on Lanier do you keep the 204?

Lucky13

Reaction score
If you only want to go a little bigger I would recomend the 23 gulfstream the boat is a beast and will feel more like 6 feet bigget not 3. Much wider and you can put twin 150 4 strokes on it.

SmokyMtnGrady

Reaction score
If you are honestly just going to use it on Lake Lanier, I am with Brian here. I would consider a 225 to 275 dual console boat. Then again and I know this blasphemy and all here, but why not get a big deck boat for the lake? I have had my 228 on Lanier, Chatuge, Fontana ( where it is currently in a slip), Hartwell and the TN River, plus my adventures on the sea. If I was mainly on the lake and no where else, I would have a dual console boat in the 22 to 25 foot range. Then again, I had a 192 with a family of 5 and invite friends too. So the 208 to me is a good lake boat, but I do not know your true space needs, only you do.

Parthery

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Bob, where are you keeping it this summer? Almond? Did you paint the bottom?

Need to figure out another TN River trip....

Bigfoot

Reaction score
Is love to meet up and take a look see. I'm nearby little Hall

Thanks for all the replies.

Bigfoot

Reaction score
Really want to keep the cuddy - the Grandson and gear area...if needed. He took a nap on the 204 last weekend in there...worked out great.

Another question, daughter and SIL rode up front and enjoyed it there...in saying that, would love to at least get a decent chair or two for the back. Those two seats near transom are not so lake friendly with the motor right there - OK, for us guys but the gals avoid those seats. What good deck chairs are available that actually work?

The 228 or 225 on Bracket seems to be a big step up, but that Gulfstream mentioned seems to be tight too with the wider beam...mmm.

I can get 15k for mine with the newer 4 banger and low hours. so, 15k off how much to move up with another 4 banger?

Parthery

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
If you are worried about safety with the little ones, then I'd look hard at something with an enclosed transom and a bracket. Keeps the little ones inside the boat.

There is plenty of cockpit space to throw a couple of beanbag chairs on the floor if you want or need comfortable seating...although I have found that the kids love to sit on the inflatable tube when they aren't riding it.

A newer 225 or 228 with a 4 stroke is probably going to start in the low 30s, and go up from there, depending on year, hours, electronics, etc...

If you can live with a 2 stroke SWS or HPDI, and don't mind going back to a 1998-2000, then you can probably get into one for the high teens - low 20s, depending on condition, electronics, etc...

SmokyMtnGrady

Reaction score
Brian,
I rented a covered slip for the season at Prince Boat Dock, just past Almond. I did not paint the bottom. It is in the lake now while I repack bearings on the trailer. We have the family vaca to Key Largo this year and she will be in a slip at Pennekamp for 12 days. Then we haul it back to Fontana for the rest of the summer. I would love to do freshwater Grady raft up on Lanier with yall this summer or maybe that TN River cruise we keep talking about....

Parthery

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Bob - PM me and let me know when you are headed south.....need to make a trip to St Pete to get my annual service on the trailer done at Owens (they do the first one for free) and intend to fish a couple days down there and see the family. Looking at the last week of June into the early part of July 4 week.

Bigfoot - sorry to derail your thread.....invitation remains open.... :grin:

Grady_Crazy

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
I am also looking at a 228G and have a 208. I might be crazy since it is mainly the wife and I but I found a nice one with a F250 4 stroke. How much bigger is the 228G than the 208? I know it is 2 feet but the bracket really opens up the boat. I run mainly at the coast and want to do more offshore and ICW trips.

zimm

Reaction score
I went for a 226 without bracket. It's shorter and easier to trailer. I don't think you loose too much space because the live well isn't in the center. My boy likes it. You can leave the cushion off to get some more freeboard. If its rough, he rides up front though.

zimm

Reaction score
And the 7 month old loves the cabin....

36ba3421a6a1b48b443f24a5e6fc7892_zpsfdf5d045.jpg

Bigfoot

Reaction score
Took the 204 all the way up river and back yesterday. Dang gonna have to be a heck of a deal to trade her....she's just a great running performing ride.

Pulled up on a GW and side by side on a 272 - holy smokes that is the real leap. Wife loved the 272. Twin 225's

All I have to keep saying its "for the Grandson" and she's saying YES. I'm looking.

SmokyMtnGrady

Reaction score
Zimm, that is a fine looking boy you have. My kids grew up on the boat and many memories shared.

Bigfoot, you owe it to take a ride on Brian's 225. That 272 would be an awesome boat on Lanier then mauybe the bug would bite you to take her to saltwater too.

Grady Crazy - the 226/228 are essentially the same boat sans the stern. The bracket is no big deal. It did take a trip or two to get the handeling down especially around the dock, but all it really is tilting the motor up some for backing down and so forth. It does get the motor out off the back and reduces the noise a tad for those sitting in the rear compared to having it closer to the stern seats. I love the center mounted live well as it doubles as a great ice box for drinks when not in use. I also have the full width swim platform and that is a plus for snorkeling and water sports. Two people can get in the water from the platform. Now I had a 192 with a similar stern to the 226 and while I had no gripes or issues with the notched stern, I can say I like the full stern and bracket. It is why Grady I suspect makes this boat in two versions for folks like me, Zimm and Docstressor - lol. We all have our likes and preferences.

I normally do not like to disagree with folks on the internet because a lot of questions asked are subjective type and opinion based. One guy can have an opinion and another guy can have a counter opinion and neither are correct or incorrect for that matter. I posted some where else here about trailering the 228 with a hard top and I trailer my boat a lot and perhaps nearly 3,000 miles a year with 2 to 3 trips down to Florida on the interstates. I have found there has never been an issue trailering the 228 due to the bracket. I have found trailering the boat takes more thought and safety in mind as the boat gets heavier. My 192 was easy to tow, so is the 228 but I am just more aware in terms of safety. Towing is easy, stopping is the key and a bracket or no bracket makes little difference in stopping or towing the boat.

Grady_Crazy

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Smokey-Mtn I am not so concerned about trailering, I was wondering if there is a noticeable difference in the interior, more room, cabin bigger? Does it ride that much better? I am trying to decide if 2 ft is worth the cost and trouble of selling my 208 and buying the 228. I really like our 208 with the 200 hpdi.

btw, I stopped in your candy store a couple of years back looking for you, you were off somewhere. See you another time.

Mine Now
DSC00908.jpg

My boys are a little bigger. They both caught that cobia, it had both hooks in it's mouth.

That is Daman858's About Time II beside me, we use the same marina.

Bigfoot

Reaction score
I've driven bracketed boats. The next will be full transom for sure. The one I have now was just too good of a deal to pass on...