Considering New Boat Purchase

leek

Reaction score
First time poster, so thanks in advance if you are willing to help
I have been looking to replace a 98 20' Outrage (BW) with 225 Tournament. Thee are very few if any used T 225 available for sale in the NW.
I have spec'd the boat out with 250 Yamaha, full canvas, raw water washdown, license and spring trade credit $71480
9.9 Yamaha Kicker with electric start, tilt and controls at helm $ 4500
livewell $ 520
cockpit bolsters $ 1000
ski pylon $1100
full swim step $1000
sun platform cushions $ 515
Shorelander dual axle 5500# trailer with spare $6190
Total $86,305

They are willing to give me $18,000 for the Whaler (which is probably worth $20-22 K retail). Do you have any opinions on whether this is a fair deal? I am not opposed to them making a reasonable overhead and profit, but do not want to be taken advantage of. This is a cash transaction. Thanks again for your help, this forum has been helpful in getting this far.

gradyfish22

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Not sure about the price itself on the new boat, but the trade in value on the new boat is fair if your boat is worth what you think it is. The market is slow and trying to sell a boat on your own is tough, you would end up probably getting close to that anyways, plus you would be paying to insure it, advertise and possibly store it until it sells. I'd be ok with the trade in offer, but the actual price of the new boat I really do not know, I am not sure what a new 225 goes for, hopefully others on here can chime in with that, I know a few guys on here had just purchased that boat and were very pleased. Maybe if they do not want to post what they paid they can pm you with the price and advise. Good luck!!!

Dean265

Reaction score
You're dealing with Jacobsens I assume? Carl or Terry? Both will do you right. We picked up our 265 from them a year ago and they were great to deal with. Keep in mind, prices may vary from what others on this board are used to seeing as we are in the Northwest and Jacobsens has the market cornered with the nearest Grady dealer being about 700 miles south of them. I have little knowledge about the 225 so I'm not much help there.

capt chris

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Ohio River Louisville, Ky./Lake Cumberland, Ky
leek said:
First time poster, so thanks in advance if you are willing to help
I have been looking to replace a 98 20' Outrage (BW) with 225 Tournament. Thee are very few if any used T 225 available for sale in the NW.
I have spec'd the boat out with 250 Yamaha, full canvas, raw water washdown, license and spring trade credit $71480
9.9 Yamaha Kicker with electric start, tilt and controls at helm $ 4500
livewell $ 520
cockpit bolsters $ 1000
ski pylon $1100
full swim step $1000
sun platform cushions $ 515
Shorelander dual axle 5500# trailer with spare $6190
Total $86,305

They are willing to give me $18,000 for the Whaler (which is probably worth $20-22 K retail). Do you have any opinions on whether this is a fair deal? I am not opposed to them making a reasonable overhead and profit, but do not want to be taken advantage of. This is a cash transaction. Thanks again for your help, this forum has been helpful in getting this far.
I sent you a PM. Let me know if you have any questions.

leek

Reaction score
New Tournament 225

Thanks Chris, very helpful. The kicker motor and the trailer are probably the big difference. We use kickers here because the King Salmon tend to swim pretty slow and the 250 probably cannot go slow enough. Also nice to have an extra get home motor if you need it.
Dean, I have been impressed with Jacobsen's quality approach and am not trying to low ball them but it felt like I needed to understand what a reasonable price (including a fair profit) for them would be. I also own a larger boat and really did not dicker on that purchase but was pretty comfortable that I was paying a competitive price. It is still worth close to what I paid for it in 2000. Hopefully we can work out a win win situation for both of us.

Crystal Beach Bum

Reaction score
Taking delivery on an identical boat this weekend. Been negotiating with the dealer (Texas) since November. With the exception of your kicker motor, it's pretty much an apples to apples comparison and I think you're very close in price. Suggest you work out a discount on electronics/free installation and you'll be about as good as it'll get on price. Best of luck, it's a beautiful boat!

viperdrum

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
I have an 08 225. If you are saying the sale price before add ons is $71K plus, it sounds high to me. mid 60s or so sounds about right. But I had some boat show and Yamaha incentives.

wahoo33417

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
Leek: My local dealer lists that boat as:

225 w F250: $70,715
Vista Top w side curtains: $1740
Vista Top Drop Curtain $ 420
Cockpit Bolsters: $ 615
Full Swim Platform: $1,000
Sun Platform w cushion $ 515
Live Well $ 520
Raw Water Washdown $ 525
Ski Pylon $ 1190

By my calculator, that comes to $77,240 without the kicker or trailer. Adding in your quoted price for these two items brings it to $87,930 before registration, taxes, etc. Your deal doesn't look bad to me.

By the way, I have 763 hours on my F250 and it has been perfect. At 500-600 rpms, it is crawling along pretty slowly. I'm guessing maybe 2 mph?, but I have never checked. At 1200 rpms I'm going about 5.5 mph.

Good luck and great times with the new boat!

Rob

striped bass

Reaction score
We had a similar 225 specked out last winter which came to $74.7 K including freight/prep and bottom paint. We did not order a trailer, kicker or ski pylon. Dealer was willing to go to $69k to close the deal. Your dealer may be a little high.

Brad1

Reaction score
$86k is an awful lot of money for a 22 ft boat. That's not far from double what I paid for my 226 Seafarer (new, with trailer) less than 4 yrs ago. Granted, I bought my boat as a 1 model yr leftover.

leek

Reaction score
New boat on the way

Thank you all for your comments. I was able to work with the deal to lower the price a little more. He was not going to move any more. I did not do quite as well as some of you but the nearest GW dealer to here is in the bay area, and there just was not a boat out there in the area that was used or that I was interested in.
The boat should be here in 10-15 days and ready to get out on the water in less than one month. Thanks again,

capt chris

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Ohio River Louisville, Ky./Lake Cumberland, Ky
Re: New boat on the way

leek said:
Thank you all for your comments. I was able to work with the deal to lower the price a little more. He was not going to move any more. I did not do quite as well as some of you but the nearest GW dealer to here is in the bay area, and there just was not a boat out there in the area that was used or that I was interested in.
The boat should be here in 10-15 days and ready to get out on the water in less than one month. Thanks again,
Leek,
I really hope you love your new 225! I am picking mine up on May 23rd from Beaver Park. The wait is killing me but it's as soon as I can get there. They are about 365 miles away one way. Please post some pictures of your new Tournament and I'll do the same. Glad you got your deal worked out and as one former BW owner to another, I think you'll find the ride to be no comparison! Enjoy!

Bay Drifter

Reaction score
Leek, first time poster as well. I just splashed my 225 this week. You are going to love this boat.

Prices on the east coast during the boat shows are running quite a bit less than what you are getting quoted, I was able to get another 10% lower that where you are right now. I like you was all set to go out and get a nice used one with low hours yada yada. The 225's do go fast on the used market so I opted for new. Got lucky with the timing and dealer just kept throwing options at me. I think he got tired of looking at me drooling at the boat shows for the last two years.

One thing you may want to consider is the kicker. The yam 250 is a real sipper of fuel at low rpm. $4500 bucks pays for a lot of gas even today. You can always add the kicker later. I have the ski pylon as well and you will want the room you get with the full swim platform. Note for all of you researchers out there. I had the dealer install the ski pylon and it looks factory. Good luck on the decision.

I have 6.4 hours on the motor and still breaking her in. Need to get to ten hours so I can be ready for trophy rock season next week!!!