Considering purchasing a Freedom 307

harry Dennison

Reaction score
Model
Freedom 307
I am looking at a Freedom 307, 2015. I live and boat on Lake Erie. Coming off a Sea Ray 37 and wondering how the 307 handles rough water as Erie can get nasty at times.

Fishtales

Reaction score
Nice boat. Guy next to me has one. Set up for family cruising and some fishing. Space below is tight, but for a day cruiser it is a nice rig. With the curtains up, the cockpit looks quite small next to the Marlin (same hull). It's a bit of an optical illusion because the hardtop extends further back into the cockpit. Unfortunately I've never ridden on one, so can't speak to performance in rougher water.

Jargon

Reaction score
Don’t all the Grady’s handle rough water better than other comparably sized boats?

jlflynn1

Reaction score
Model
Tournament 307
I have a 307. Boat handles well in rough water. I had her out in 5 - 6 footers this Summer with no issues. With the full enclosure u are also protected from the elements. Did you take the boat for a sea trial?

Fishtales

Reaction score
Don’t all the Grady’s handle rough water better than other comparably sized boats?

That's what all us kool aid drinkers here think! Not necessarily true though.

magicalbill

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Marlin
That's what all us kool aid drinkers here think! Not necessarily true though.

I mentioned this concept in my response to Jargon's thread, "Why A Grady" awhile back.

if you want a total pleasurable ride, I think Grady's are the way. They don't ride as smoothly as Yellowfins or See Vee's but don't roll in a beam sea either. I think the head sea ride is acceptable to good. They are stable in following seas and don't bowsteer as much as some other boats when you run into the backside of a trough underway.

Every boat, like every relationship, is a compromise. I think Grady's are really good boats overall. I love mine.

Fishtales

Reaction score
Agree. I enjoyed the 282 and now 300 for 18 years. Really can't complain about the ride, boat fit/finish or engines (F225 and F250 - other than the mid section corrosion issue). Grady stands behind their products like no other manufacturer. This drives brand loyalty like no other.