Considering purchasing a Marlin 300 (although I had looked at an Express 330)

ksgoldman

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Freedom 275
I am considering purchasing a Marlin 300 although I had looked at an Express 330. I presently have a Tournament 275 that I absolutely love, but I want something with a cabin for overnighting.

I'm moving to SW Florida in early 2019 so I will be using the boat a lot more. Although the Express 330 is a great boat, it's really more than I need 99% of the time. Usually it will only be a few of us going out on the boat. My kids are grown so if I overnight, there will only be two of us on the boat.

I particularly like that the Marlin is a 1.47MPG / 18GPH boat compared to the 330 Express which is 26.5GPH.

I feel like with the Express I'd be carrying around a lot more boat than I need most of the time. Of course the Express would be better in heavy seas, and overnighting it certainly has more room.

I'd welcome some thoughts from Marlin owners, and from anyone who has considered both boats.

By the way - I don't fish.

Thanks

georgemjr

Reaction score
This is going on in another thread. I have owned 2 expresses (an '06, and now an '07) and one Marlin (an 00). my friends own an '02 and an '05. Same fuel burn on all of those boats, 1.1 to 1.2. That is with twin F250's of various years.I think the extra boat is worth it, especially overnighting but also hanging around the helm area and cockpit. There are only two of us (except when we bring dogs) and overnighting on the Express is significantly more comfortable.

SkunkBoat

Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Model
Express 265
Question....You say you don't fish.....will you be operating in bays mostly and maybe Gulf on bluebird days? Marlin

Do you envision hanging out at the dock with good friends and beverages? .....Express:p

Have you even considered a used 265 or 305 Express?

ksgoldman

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Freedom 275
I know that the numbers speak in favor of purchasing used but I will probably buy new.

drbatts

Reaction score
Model
Express 305
Not a marlin owner but I looked at both boats when upgrading last year. I pretty much looked at used models so I cannot comment on new models and/or any changes made. I would have without a doubt gone with the 330 except for the fact that it was to long for my current dock(I ended up getting a 305). The 330 is and feels like a larger boat. If you plan on doing any overnighting the cabin is more spacious, modern and nicer appointed on the express. I personally prefer the express style better then the walkaround style. I'm an average sized person and getting up to the front on the larger expresses is not a problem, nor is getting around the center helm seat. If you will routinely cruise with more then 2 people on board the express layout is superior as there is more seating under the hardtop compared to the marlin. If its just you and your wife the extra seating may not matter much. The express also has the pop up helm which can accommodate 2 12" screens which is not possible on the marlin. I would vote for the 330 express.

Fishtales

Reaction score
Will you ever be out alone? the 330 would be tough to handle without the newer controls. I can handle my Marlin alone (get the thruster) easy peasy. The big question is do you overnight as stated. If so, 330 is best. If you like to be able to get to the bow quickly or want 360 degree walk, the Marlin wins. If the Marlin, check out the companion seat.

teaklejr

Reaction score
Not a marlin owner but I looked at both boats when upgrading last year. I pretty much looked at used models so I cannot comment on new models and/or any changes made. I would have without a doubt gone with the 330 except for the fact that it was to long for my current dock(I ended up getting a 305). The 330 is and feels like a larger boat. If you plan on doing any overnighting the cabin is more spacious, modern and nicer appointed on the express. I personally prefer the express style better then the walkaround style. I'm an average sized person and getting up to the front on the larger expresses is not a problem, nor is getting around the center helm seat. If you will routinely cruise with more then 2 people on board the express layout is superior as there is more seating under the hardtop compared to the marlin. If its just you and your wife the extra seating may not matter much. The express also has the pop up helm which can accommodate 2 12" screens which is not possible on the marlin. I would vote for the 330 express.

Do you sleep on the 305 and if so how is the forward berth as far as being enough for two people to sleep comfortably? My wife and I are currently looking to finally upgrade from our F26 Tigercat that we stay on a lot, so far this season we have spend 36 nights on her so obviously anything bigger would be an upgrade. First choice is a 330 but honestly is is more than we need, second is the Marlin and then the 305. Just looking at pics the 305 sleeping area looks smaller than the Marlin but have not been on a 305 yet. We checked out a Marlin 2 weeks ago and really liked the layout, seemed to be just the right size for what we do but I do like the center helm of the 305 and 330 with the extra seating it gives you. Only thing that is keeping my wife from the 305 or 330 is the lack of cabin windows, she likes to be able to look out the side windows.

georgemjr

Reaction score
My wife loved the side windows as well. I single hand the 330, all the time. I don’t find it to be any harder than the Marlin was to handle. Both had/have thrusters.

drbatts

Reaction score
Model
Express 305
The forward berth on the 305 would easily accommodate a couple of average sized people. I sleep like a baby on the boat with the A/C on. The lack of windows does make the cabin feel a little like a cave, that being said we are basically in the cabin to sleep or make a sandwich plus no one ever really rides in the cabin when we are moving. So not having windows is not really a big deal for us. Another difference between the 305 and marlin is the 305 has much better access to the generator and other equipment in the rear bilge compared to the marlin. I have a hatch which I can unlatch to access this area, rather then having to cut out caulk and unscrew the back floor panel.

seasick

Reaction score
The 305 just didn't sell like it was hoped. Folks seem to like the Marlin's better and as I remember it, rumors of the Marlin's demise were met with sort of a revolt. It reminded me of the stink after the Sailfish was discontinued.
It's hard for me to compare a Marlin 300 to an Express 330. They are very different boats in size and cost:).

journeyman

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Marlin
I considered the 33 and really like the cabin layout but I am also a fan of the walk-around. I fish from the bow often and have rod holders on my bow rails. It's nice to be able to sit up there and relax while fishing with my favorite beverage. The cabin will be fine for just the 2 of you on the Marlin especially if you sleep in the mid-berth (we don't). That way you cold leave the table up for meals or a game of cribbage. By the way, you can fit two 12" screens on the Marlin flush mount surface. Not sure they even offer the electronic box anymore. It's not listed on the spec sheet.