Considering Tournament 225

PAO1

Reaction score
I'm new to the GG Forum, am zeroing in on the right Grady to buy - a Tournament/Freedom 225, I think. I am particulary interested in a few of points of feedback. I would have the vessel in New Jersey in the summer and Naples, FL in the winter.

Anybody use their 225 for significant offshore work, any concerns about rough seas/heavier weather? I am considering new or lightly used (under 200hrs, which seem to sell in the $40k-$50k range). I also like to fly fish and the dual console seems to be a good casting platform, especially with the bimini top stowed or removed. When I was growing up we always used to have twins on offshore boats (WA state), but seems the newer engines are dead flat reliable if maintained.

The advantages of new, can get a factory hardtop and outriggers, the Yamaha 250 or 300 with digital controls. Any comments on the new engines would be appreciated, especially versus the older 225 or 250.

I would also use this as a "family boat" with my kids (3 girls + Admiral + friends, need the head - deck pump out preferred), for wakeboarding - crabbin - rockfishing - tooling around - beachcombing, any comments on the ski pylon effectiveness as well as the suitability of the lower hp engines for this activity (loaded boat with kids and friends)?

I would be towing with a 2007 1/2 suburban LTZ (5.3L, 4spd tranny, 3.7 rear, autoride suspension - would need to add a tranny cooler as I don't have the tow package), anybody with a similar set up? I think the boat + trailer fully loaded is probably around 6000lbs. Tow limit for 2007 Suburban is 8000lbs but that's pushing it a bit I think. I don't have any (personal) issue with towing or length of the rig.

I liked the idea of the new 255 or 275, but price/operating cost/tow vehicle point me to the 225. The 205 does not seem like enough boat for offshore although might be an option, agree? I'm having a bit of a time finding boats in the water for comparison sea trials so am doing some homework ahead of time. There is a 225 demo in DE, and a 275 with 10 hours in MA, so both are essentially new. Would like somebody else to take the initial depreciation, though.

I did see a picture of a 275 with a custom radar arch, that would like nice and be useful on a 225 - is there room in the console for the display along with radio and chartplotter/fishfinder?

Thanks for your comments - on any these items or any others from your own experience - they will help me a lot. I know I am asking a lot but this board seems pretty civil!

SmokyMtnGrady

Reaction score
POA1,
Welcome. I had a 1998 192 and loved the dual console layout and almost bought a 225 and opted for the 228g. I fished my 192 offshore in Central Florida, the Florida Panhandle and the Keys and it was a great boat in seas less than 3 feet with an 8 to 10 second period. The 228 is on the same hull as the 225 and I have fished off of Charleston, the Florida Panhandle, and the Keys and love the way she handles compared to my old boat. I wanted the 275, but my budget would not allow it.

The full stern of the 225 with the bracket is nice and find one with a full width swim platform. The open cockpit of the rear or the bow would I suspect would be a nice platform for fly fishing, as I do not fly fish I can only speculate. I would encourage you, if you already do not have one, to buy handheld epirb when fishing offshore in any boat. It seems to me if you need the openness of the boat for fly casting, a radae tower / arch would get in the way?

If you are looking to get into skinny water down in Naples for reds, trout, snook and tarpon, the 225 will get you maybe 2.5 feet of water tops...and that is not a running, it is idle with the motor trimmed up. Good luck with your search.

PAO1

Reaction score
Thanks, Bob. I'm threading the needle a bit in finding a boat that will do many things well.

Radar arch I don't need, just thought it looked cool & sleek on the 275. I saw on the Grady site the new hardtop for the 225, nice looking as well. I'm good with bimini top, navy looks good.

I've been fishing in the backwater around Naples, smaller/low draft boat would definitely be better but the 225 not so bad for a boat I can take backwater/inshore/offshore. I swear the fishing guides nearly pat you down so you don't GPS their favorite spots! Too bad about the snook.

Ed Bukala

Reaction score
Hi there
From what I am reading the new Freedom 255 would be the boat for you. We went from a Tournament (Freedom) 185 to the Freedom 255 and for us it was the correct decision. We had ordered the 225 but when the 255 came out, cancelled the 225 and went with the 255. We have the new 300 hp 4.2L engine and in a word, "love it". The only problem we have is it calls for 89 octane and we can not get it where we boat as we do not trailer it, it stays at the dock. It sounds like you plan on trailering your 225 so that will not be a problem. This engine has the low end torque that they said it would. I have had 6 good sized adults, almost a full tank of gas and she pops onto plane in a blink of the eye. I have about 60 hours on it so far. As for performance, our Freedom 255 has a hard top, usually at least 3/4 full of fuel, fresh water tank full, gear, coolers etc.etc. and when we run out to our fishing holes, 15-20 miles from the dock and depending on the lake conditions we usually run @ 31 mph and she gets 2.5 mpg. Not sure how much better that would be if I was able to run with the 89 octane as reommended. I would highly recommend this engine to you if you end up going new. We also have the new digital control readout, it is great and I would recommend it. It is new technology and some people will tell you to stay away from new technology, but with a standard 3 year warranty and an available 6 year warranty, what is the worry. Often us crazy boaters change our boats before warranty periods are up. Hope this helps and good luck in your search. Most comments I have heard from 225 owners have been good ones so it seems you are on the right path.
Bukster

PAO1

Reaction score
Bukster - thanks for the feedback. The 255 is intriguing if I buy new, kind of a size up all around and the anchor windlass is a nice feature. Of course few used ones around as a new model, and pushing the trailerable limit of my truck. I figure the Freedom is 4500lbs + 750lbs engine (Yamaha 300) + 1000lbs fuel + 500lbs gear + 1750lbs trailer = 8,500lbs. That's without hardtop. Towing it dry and getting the gear out of the boat, maybe 7,500lbs which is close to the limit of my tuck (1/2 ton Suburban with 5.3 engine) on a long (1300 mile) tow twice a year as I plan on being in New Jersey in the summer and Fl in the winter; I guess I could rent a heavy duty truck (or get a new truck to go with a new boat!). I figure the 225 goes between 6,000lbs (dry) to 7,000lbs (fuel and gear) on a trailer, and I can spend the extra money on gear and electronics especially if I buy lightly used. Maybe I buy used 225 now and if I trade up I won't eat the depreciation so much. Gotta keep some $$ in the bank for the actual boating activity.

Peter

Ed Bukala

Reaction score
Hi Peter
Your numbers for overall weight are likely pretty close. The new 300 hp actually only weighs about 580 pounds, that is one of the appeals of the new motors, their relative light weights for the bigger boats requiring 2 engines. We do not have a vehicle large enough to tow either and that is one of the reasons I purchased the boat without trailer. Add in a good tandem trailer and tow vehicle and you are talking adding a big chunk of $ to the equation. Our dealer delivered the boat 500 miles to our lake and there is a marina a one hour boat ride that has indoor storage, we just bring the boat over by water and they take care of it from there. I must say, I kind of balked at the windlass when we were ordering the 255 but my wife convinced me that it is money well spent. She was right!!, love the windlass. We were fishing on the other day and moved around about 15 times in a 1/2 mile radius. Would I have moved around that often without the windlass...not...money well spent. Good luck in your search and let us know how you make out in the end.
Bukster

Bama96

Reaction score
You can't go wrong with either. I have the 225 Tournament and love it. We fish offshore 20-25 miles. It handles up to 3' seas with no problem. Anymore than that and I can't handle long runs. We bottom fish most of the time. The livewell and fishbox are both large and I like them in the transom. Also the closed transom is a plus for me with the motor on a bracket. No chance of water coming in if backing down on a spot. I am not a fan of the 255 because of the Euro transom and door as it seems to be a lot of wasted space with that transom design IMO. My family loves the boat and it cruises as well as it fishes. I have the old F250 and it is a perfect match. Tops out in the 43-45mph range depending on load and has plenty of power for pulling tubes. The boat is easily tralierable and we pull it with a Chevy Tahoe with no issues. Good luck on your search and let me know if I can answer anymore questions on the 225. :D

PAO1

Reaction score
bama96 - thanks for the input, I was surfing this forum and found your other posts. Congratulations on the purchase. Not ignoring Ed's good comments and satisfaction with the bigger boat (and by the way, congrats to you as well!), I think the 225 hits the spot especially because of tow weights. A grady dealer I spoke with this morning thought that a good option was a 205 new (with a 250hp) versus the 225 used, not quite apples to apples on price but a bit closer. An interesting thought and his opinion was I didn't give up too much seaworthiness for fishing 10-20 miles out. Did you consider the 205 (new or used)?

Peter

PAO1

Reaction score
bama96 - is that a grady installed ski pylon on your boat, or do you use a harness which would need to be pretty big to get around the drive bracket?

Bama96

Reaction score
It is a Grady installed Ski pylon. To answer the question on the 205. I never considered it as it was too small for my needs. I did not like the transom design either. I just really like the 225 bracket set up. Makes the boat feel much bigger than 22'2". It is truly the SUV of boats and I don't think you will be happy fishing that far offshore in a 205.

PAO1

Reaction score
Bama96 - thanks for the advice. I am going try and get down to delaware next week to sea trial a 205 with a 150 and a 225 with a 250. Will let you know how it goes.

imcnee

Reaction score
We have a T225 with the Yamaha 225. Although is is not a rocket it is just fine for us. I have had 5 17year olds and the Admiral on board and maintained a nice easy 23k cruise. I can't say enough about the T225 and the hull is one of the best I've ever driven. I've been out in 6footers off the coast of British Columbia with only a bit of wind spray in the girls faces. (They thought is was "awesome")

Green Mountain Grady

Reaction score
I've got a '91 Tournament 225 that I bought 4 years ago and it has been a fantastic boat for our family. We operate up in Lake Champlain in all sorts of weather and have never once felt the boat was in "over it's head" that includes 5' to 7' waves we can encounter if the wind is blowing right (same can't be said for the Captain!). I switched this year from a Yamaha 225 to a 250 (both 2 strokes) and definitely feel the difference in coming up to plane quicker and in towing a tube. Given all the activities you want to do with it the 225 would be a good fit. On the towing front, I have a 2001 Toyota Sequoia (has a towing package) and it pulls the boat without any issues, although I'm pretty close to topping out it's max tow weight. Good luck and would be happy to answer any questions you might have.

White Horses (Mike)

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
We are in our third year with our Tournament 225 with the 250 motor. Love it. We fish, we tube, we beach, we hate when winter comes... The boat can handle way more rough water than I can, and the layout is incredibly flexible. Its hard to imagine a more useful design given the length of the boat. I can talk about the positives all day long. On the negative side, I do wish they had designed the scuppers to be 2" higher on the transom. Mine get clogged up with barnacles and growth which is dangerous in my opinion. I keep them cleaned out and everything drains great, but its something that bugs me. If you get one, I recommend filling the electronics compartment with a 10" garmin. Its made a HUGE impact on our ability to enjoy the boat in lots of places and especially in the evenings and night.

By the way, I have a center cushion that fills in the bow seating - it would make an excellent casting platform although I have not used it in that way.

Good Luck to you with your selection and your purchase (!)

dwasser

Reaction score
we bought a 2011 22' freedom last fall and put it in the water two weeks ago. we fish cheaspeake bay tributaries between tilghman island and baltimore maryland generally. we have the new 250 motor with electronic controls. the boat is a delight!

there are two items we would like to add. an anchor system which alows us to leave the anchor out ready to deploy. manual or windlass works for me.

an electric trolling motor for quiet backwater fishing.

i've asked our salesperson for a recommendation. any thoughts?

striped bass

Reaction score
PAO:
Congrats on your decision to get a Grady 225. For the use you described you will not find a better vessel especially if you plan to trailer the boat and even then the 225 is still a handful to load and off load but manageable. My suggestion is to not waste your time with the 205. It's too small for your intended use. The 225 is the floor of what you should be looking at. I have found that the 225 is an excellent coastal cruiser and fishing vessel. However, off shore pushes this hull to its limits in my opinion especially if you plan on having the Admiral and daughters aboard. The head is a real tight fit and outright awkward in rough water. In running seas we and all my fellow small boat captains/crew usually just pull out the bucket. The most difficult water for this hull is a short 3 foot or greater chop or a following quarter 3 foot or greater sea. That being said I have found that snotty water can be uncomfortable for any hull under 35 to 40 feet but that is just my opinion. If you were not trailering a boat I would recommend the 275 and skip over the 255. The 275 has it all and you will never look back. Just for comparison purposes you should definitely sea trial a 225, 255 and a 275. You will be amazed at the performance and comparison. I second the comment on the scupper drains needing to be higher on the hull. You should check that issue out on a 225 especially with the F300 Yamaha. One item not mentioned is that Grady lowered the top rim of the wind screen sometime in around 2005 and the aluminum frame hits you right in the eye line of sight. Good luck!

CWOT

Reaction score
striped bass said:
PAO:

If you were not trailering a boat I would recommend the 275 and skip over the 255. The 275 has it all and you will never look back. Just for comparison purposes you should definitely sea trial a 225, 255 and a 275.

Hi, do you find the 255 a poor performer when compared to the 275? I have not had a ride in either but looking at the specs the 275 and the 255 seem pretty close.

striped bass

Reaction score
I did not mention that price is one of the differentiators in the value proposition between the 255 and 275 IMHO. Even though the 275 has a higher price tag going in there is more boat for the money. Also, in reading POA1's requirements he stated he will "use this as a 'family boat' with my kids (3 girls + Admiral + friends, need the head." That is a lot of family. He and the family of women will appreciate the extra space, weight and comfort IMHO which is all part of the price/performance issue.