Control Cable Length

ralph85

Reaction score
Anyone know the control cable length (throttle & gear shit) for a 2002 Voyager with a single F225???

seasick

Reaction score
ralph85 said:
Anyone know the control cable length (throttle & gear Shoot) for a 2002 Voyager with a single F225???
Usually the length is printed on the cable sheath. It may be hard to read though. Sometimes it is easier to find the printing on cable under the helm as opposed to near the motor. The length will be part of the part number on the cable.
You can also try calling Grady support but I have found that sometimes the info they have on file is not 100% correct

ralph85

Reaction score
Thanks Seasick.......I'll be on the boat tomorrow and will check it out. Grady White quoted me 22 feet, but that sounds too long. My informal measurement was between 16-18 feet. Heck, the whole boat is only 24 feet and change.

seasick

Reaction score
ralph85 said:
Thanks Seasick.......I'll be on the boat tomorrow and will check it out. Grady White quoted me 22 feet, but that sounds too long. My informal measurement was between 16-18 feet. Heck, the whole boat is only 24 feet and change.

It could be 22. It depends on how the cables are routed and what kind of loops are made at the transom. The rigging tube may be towards the starboard side and could add a foot to 2 feet to go over to the run. Then you have to come back from the rigging tube to the motor well and then add length for the slack needed to allow motor movement.
That said, when I replaced mine a while back, I went with a cable that was 2 feet shorter than what had been rigged previously. The original length had a fairly large loop at the motor and it would rub against the inside wall of the motor well. I wen shorter and reduced the loop size. If the current length seems good, As mentioned, the safest bet is to get the same length.

If you have the option of having the boat out of business for a bit, you can pull out the current cables and measure. If you do so, tie off and pull one or two drag lines (thin strong rope) so that you have a line to pull back the new cable. I like to leave a spare drag line for the future