Converting a Bimini top Seafarer to a Hard Top

Ramblin Reck

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
I did it with a little help from my friends. Searched long and hard for a salvageable hardtop off of a Grady White 22' Seafarer and found one. The rear legs were broken off just underneath the point where the two supports are welded. The front feet or landing pads were left on the sunken boat. Bought the windshield and side and back curtains too. They had not gone down with the ship in the hurricane. I found some 6'x1"aluminum pipe used for hand rails at McMaster-Carr. I had to get them bent a little but they slid inside the old pipes perfectly. Will try and reduce size of my photos. We used wood dowels 6' long to fit the top where it should go and made sure the curtains would fit. My boat had snaps already in place. PB blaster freed them up. I used 6' wooden dowels to figure out where the rear feet would land. Determined thay had to come in 5" on each side

Attachments

• Grady White Top 1.jpg
    Grady White Top 1.jpg
    101.5 KB · Views: 26
  • Grady White Top 4.jpg
    Grady White Top 4.jpg
    153.5 KB · Views: 25
  • Grady White Top 3.jpg
    Grady White Top 3.jpg
    138.5 KB · Views: 24
  • Grady White Broke Top 3.JPG
    Grady White Broke Top 3.JPG
    586.6 KB · Views: 22
  • Grady White new top going on Dec 2019  2.jpg
    Grady White new top going on Dec 2019 2.jpg
    193.6 KB · Views: 23
  • GW Rear Feet too wide Starboard side.jpg
    GW Rear Feet too wide Starboard side.jpg
    134.7 KB · Views: 23
  • Grady White JACKSONVILLE Hartop 4.JPG
    Grady White JACKSONVILLE Hartop 4.JPG
    190.3 KB · Views: 22
  • Grady White open air top.jpg
    Grady White open air top.jpg
    166.6 KB · Views: 23
  • Grady White Top Fit 4.jpg
    Grady White Top Fit 4.jpg
    211.9 KB · Views: 23
  • Grady White Top 1.jpg
    Grady White Top 1.jpg
    101.5 KB · Views: 23
Last edited:

Ky Grady

GreatGrady Captain
Staff member
Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
Not seeing the hardtop in that pic. I see the support arm and the enclosure clears, but it looks like I'm looking at blue sky where the top should be. Glass roof option? :cool:

Ramblin Reck

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
Hopefully here are some pics of the old top being fitted, along with some of its problems and the top on the boat

Attachments

• Grady White Top Fit 4.jpg
    Grady White Top Fit 4.jpg
    211.9 KB · Views: 16
  • Grady White JACKSONVILLE Hartop 4.JPG
    Grady White JACKSONVILLE Hartop 4.JPG
    190.3 KB · Views: 15
  • Grady White Top needs front pads 3.jpg
    Grady White Top needs front pads 3.jpg
    144 KB · Views: 15
  • GW at Fuel Dock.jpg
    GW at Fuel Dock.jpg
    171.9 KB · Views: 18
  • Grady White Top 1.jpg
    Grady White Top 1.jpg
    101.5 KB · Views: 17

Ky Grady

GreatGrady Captain
Staff member
Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
There it is. That's a great project though. Good score on finding the top.

Ramblin Reck

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
Grady White owner down on the St Johns River South of Jax had his blown off the dock lift during a Hurricane event. He found it by walking on the river bottom. Was just about to take it to the scrap yard when he saw my ad. There was a Cobra VHF radio in the electronic box that still lights up! Says WATERPROOF on the front! In one picture you can see where it was broken completely in to and it was rewelded! Also another pic shows the port side strut support missing. That was replaced. Another pic shows the BEFORE with the original Bimini Top on it. It is viny and I have it listed for sale. Has one small hole on it side near rear bow about the size of an apple. Can be patched. You can see the front foot or pad is missing in another pic. The rear support legs are the neatest. I will get a pic of the swivel brace I bought to secure it to the deck.

Ramblin Reck

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
I did it with a little help from my friends. Searched long and hard for a salvageable hardtop off of a Grady White 22' Seafarer and found one. The rear legs were broken off just underneath the point where the two supports are welded. The front feet or landing pads were left on the sunken boat. Bought the windshield and side and back curtains too. They had not gone down with the ship in the hurricane. I found some 6'x1"aluminum pipe used for hand rails at McMaster-Carr. I had to get them bent a little but they slid inside the old pipes perfectly. Will try and reduce size of my photos. We used wood dowels 6' long to fit the top where it should go and made sure the curtains would fit. My boat had snaps already in place. PB blaster freed them up. I used 6' wooden dowels to figure out where the rear feet would land. Determined thay had to come in 5" on each side
Here are some more pictures. The "feet" on the rear support poles swivel. The original rear supports curved in and did not go all the way to the top of the fish box.

Attachments

• Grady White 1 inch ID Sched 40 Aluminum Pipe bent to the proper angle.jpg
    Grady White 1 inch ID Sched 40 Aluminum Pipe bent to the proper angle.jpg
    166.9 KB · Views: 19
  • Grady White Foot on rear Starboard leg support.jpg
    Grady White Foot on rear Starboard leg support.jpg
    135.2 KB · Views: 20
  • Grady White Foot on rear Port leg support.jpg
    Grady White Foot on rear Port leg support.jpg
    109 KB · Views: 18
  • Grady White completed aluminum support frame showing front feet and rear legs.jpg
    Grady White completed aluminum support frame showing front feet and rear legs.jpg
    349.6 KB · Views: 19
  • Grady White enclosures.JPG
    Grady White enclosures.JPG
    585.4 KB · Views: 18

Fishtales

Reaction score
Spend some time and reglass the edges and cracks. The core is balsa so you don't want to get it wet. Nice job.

Ramblin Reck

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
Spend some time and reglass the edges and cracks. The core is balsa so you don't want to get it wet. Nice job.
It does not Feel like Balsa core! It is heavy! Maybe waterlogged from being submerged for several days or weeks. I will heed your advice. Thanks for the heads up. Do you think they were balsa cored back in the late 80's?

Fishtales

Reaction score
Don't know but I'd think so. You can drill a few test holes in the underside and see how it looks. You probably won't have to worry about freezing so hopefully no delamination. Maybe don't seal the underside just yet. Let it bake in the Georgia sun for a while.

Reactions: Ramblin Reck

Ramblin Reck

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
Don't know but I'd think so. You can drill a few test holes in the underside and see how it looks. You probably won't have to worry about freezing so hopefully no delamination. Maybe don't seal the underside just yet. Let it bake in the Georgia sun for a while.
Thanks.