Coolers advice

drbatts

Reaction score
Model
Express 305
I will use the built in smaller built in cooler for most of my local day fishing trips. It holds plenty of ice and drinks, then use the livewell for the fish. The idea is to keep the clutter in the cockpit down. For longer weekend trips to Montauk or offshore, then I will clear out the big rear fish box and bring a second large cooler full of ice. In addition I will also mount a 65qt rtic on the transom swim platform for bait, This seems to work. On these trips Ice is like firewood when ever you think you have enough, bring more. I have used igloo, coleman and other cheap coolers. they all hold ice well, but the components are crap and will constantly break or just rip out of the cooler. The RTIC coolers seem to hold up better, the rubber feet are nice and they are sturdy enough to stand on too. I have a soft RTIC which I use all the time for transporting drinks and food to the boat. it holds Ice ok, but the shoulder strap is invaluable because it frees up a hand to carry other stuff like rods etc. On a side note, I have found old sections of hose cut in half work very well as a hinge for the cooler lid.

JerseyJarred

Reaction score
Model
Tournament 275
I have both Pelican and Yeti and would recommend both brands without hesitation. But I think as others have pointed out, it all depends on your intended use. I have found the video reviews/comparisons found on Youtube to be particularly helpful.

max366

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
I 2nd Engel coolers. I use it as an extra seat and for day fishing, using just 2 blue ice packs- one for bait and the other for the fish. The 2 packs are fine for the entire day. I also liked that it can take a divider so the bait is one one side, fish on the other. Large, non-skid feet keep it in place- never slides around. About $100 less than the comparable Yeti.

HTHM

Reaction score
Here's some of them. I've added more since this picture was taken, these are my catfish rigs and saltwater rigs and now have Walleye rigs to go with these. Had to go to the overhead storage, ran out of wall space.
View attachment 9144View attachment 9145
@Ky Grady I see you are a tackle hound like me, very nice collection especially with the two grandchildren rods at the end.
Where do you fish for pickerel, or as you Americans incorrectly say walleye?;) To be clear i am speaking of Sander vitreus not Esox niger

Reactions: Ky Grady

Ky Grady

GreatGrady Captain
Staff member
Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
@Ky Grady I see you are a tackle hound like me, very nice collection especially with the two grandchildren rods at the end.
Where do you fish for pickerel, or as you Americans incorrectly say walleye?;) To be clear i am speaking of Sander vitreus not Esox niger

Good eye on the grandkids rigs!

We just started fishing for walleye this year and fish out of Port Clinton and Lakeside/Marblehead in Ohio. Going to try and get up there more this coming year. Sunset pic is the backside of Kelleys Island.
20190810_190715.jpg20190810_203006.jpg

HTHM

Reaction score
Right now it is prime time with the western migration in full swing. The boat you're in looks suspiciously like a Lund setup for backtrolling.... No downriggers or are you running dipseys?
How is your Grady in heavy Erie water? I'm hoping to find a 192 Tournament or 190 Freedom soon. It will be used in the Eastern Basin near Port Colborne.

Ky Grady

GreatGrady Captain
Staff member
Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
Pulling Dipseys and spoons. I'm on my buddy's new Tracker Targa V-20. Haven't had my Grady on Erie yet, planning a trip or two with it next year. We are still learning and running his Targa up from Kentucky is an easy pull and the boat is big enough to handle Erie.