Cooling system concerns

denwrench

Reaction score
Model
Fisherman 222
Hello all I rebuilt the water pump in my Yamaha 2006 250 TRX motor for the first time I replaced everything. My question is the tell tale strong enough? Photos and video I also have warm water running out at the back 3 grates of the lower outdrive and cold water coming out the front of the outdrive as show in the photo red hot blue cold. I have included a video. At no time does the overheat waring light or signal come on. ?
I'm trying to upload a video without any luck.

Attachments

• cooling #1.jpg
    cooling #1.jpg
    121.5 KB · Views: 15

seasick

Reaction score
Ypu cant judge for certain using muffs on a garden hose. If the hose has lower water flow, the telltale may be weak or nor present at all.
In addition, sometimes the telltale plumbing gets clogged and slows or stops the flow. That in itself does not mean the engine is not getting cooled.
I suspect that all will be fine when you launch the boat. If you want to test on land with 100% certainty, you need to use a water barrel or similar to get the lower unit submerged up to the anti-ventilation plate

Reactions: Sdfish

Hookup1

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Islander
Teltales don't work well off hose connections. Best to tank the motor or put in the water.
Remove the cowling and snake the fuel cooler out with 300lb monofilament. Pull the silicone tubing and snake that too.
Consider cleaning and changing the thermostat too.

denwrench

Reaction score
Model
Fisherman 222
Thank you for your input. I will tank it today!

Mustang65fbk

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
I don't use the earmuffs, I actually use the garden hose attachment that you have up near the cowling. I also typically keep a can of the compressed air keyboard cleaner on my boat and if I am worried about the telltale stream being light, you can always spray a shot of air up there and it will generally clear it out right away.

denwrench

Reaction score
Model
Fisherman 222
Ypu cant judge for certain using muffs on a garden hose. If the hose has lower water flow, the telltale may be weak or nor present at all.
In addition, sometimes the telltale plumbing gets clogged and slows or stops the flow. That in itself does not mean the engine is not getting cooled.
I suspect that all will be fine when you launch the boat. If you want to test on land with 100% certainty, you need to use a water barrel or similar to get the lower unit submerged up to the anti-ventilation plate
Thanks I put the lower unit in a trash can filled with water it was fine!

Reactions: igblack87