Corroded thru-hill fittings

watashii

Reaction score
I have a 2005, 330 Express, and the chromed-over bronze thru-hulls are all corroding as shown. Short of replacing them all, is there an established method of making them look better than this without removing them? Thanks.

Grady thru-hull (Medium).jpg

Ky Grady

GreatGrady Captain
Staff member
Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
Have you tried Flitz or any type of chrome polish? When I bought my '04, mine looked like that but I didn't even try to polish them, went straight to new ones.

20170729_222510.jpg
20170803_081320.jpg

watashii

Reaction score
Those look great!

Unfortunatly, Flitz wouldn't work on mine. They're too far gone. I'd like to replace them, but there are fifteen of them and access is a major problem.

Fishtales

Reaction score
or try any of the commercially sold metal cleaners. they will make it somewhat better, but those are a bit too far gone. either replace or live with.

SkunkBoat

Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Model
Express 265
You can make them look better with polish but the chrome has peeled so you'll have some shiny bronze/chrome camouflage!
Mine are exactly like yours. Have not had the time or energy to tackle that. I can say that my faucets were nearly as bad and they came out reasonably well with Brasso liquid metal polish.
If I did them I would mask the hull and start with polish and a toothbrush.
I'm certainly not going to replace them any time soon.

DennisG01

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Offshore
You can use the Flitz or some other polish on them and it will certainly make them look better. Obviously, the best remedy is maintenance... but at this point, you will have pitting no matter what type of cleaner/polish you use. Polish them up best you can and live with it, or replace.

everwhom

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score

Ky Grady

GreatGrady Captain
Staff member
Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
These were mine when I bought the boat. To far gone for my liking, that's why I went with new.

IMG_1543.JPGIMG_1544.JPGIMG_1549.JPGIMG_1550.JPG

Doc Stressor

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
Chromed over brass really doesn't belong in the marine environment. Once the chrome layer starts to pit there isn't much that you can do to restore them. Straight brass that you can clean up or stainless steel is the way to go. My 11-year-old stainless steel fittings get Flitz once a year and they are still perfect.

Last edited:

Fishtales

Reaction score
If you hit them every year with Borx, Noxon or some other metal cleaner and then wax, they will hold up. They will pit a little but won't look that bad at all. I've been doing this for 13 years and they look great for their age.