Cost for thorough cleaning and ceramic coating interior/exterior 1988 22' Seafarer Cuddy Cabin

BF22Grady

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
I recently purchased a 1988 Grady White 228G Seafarer Cuddy Cabin.

The boat is in great condition overall, but needs a good cleaning and polish. There is a local outfit that performs the following:

Full reconditioning package to bring boat as close to as new condition as possible both inside and out.

Full exterior prep (decontamination, clay bar, 2 step buff, polish all metal and trim, get water spots off of windows).

Every exterior surface gets ceramic coated and protected (paint , glass, all metal trim and accessories, plastic, engine)

Interior gets a full detail then gets fully coated.

Includes a free maintenance program to monitor the boat over the course of time to make sure it stays in great shape.

Includes materials, labor, travel, limited warranty where they reapply coating free of charge if needed.

Question: have any of you guys employed a service like this? If so, did you feel that it was worth the cost? The quote for what they call the 3 year program is $1,850.

Any feedback greatly appreciated.

Reactions: JeffN

PointedRose

Reaction score
Model
Overnighter
You maybe could ask for the hours estimate. Could assume maybe at least a few hundred goes to materials - you’d spend it if you did it yourself. So maybe $1400 or $1500 of the quote relates to hours. If $50 per hour, that’s 28-30 hours over three years. I’d bet they’d spend the better part of a day with the first cleaning, then maybe a bit less each visit to maintain going forward.

BF22Grady

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
You maybe could ask for the hours estimate. Could assume maybe at least a few hundred goes to materials - you’d spend it if you did it yourself. So maybe $1400 or $1500 of the quote relates to hours. If $50 per hour, that’s 28-30 hours over three years. I’d bet they’d spend the better part of a day with the first cleaning, then maybe a bit less each visit to maintain going forward.
Thanks for the response.
They are projecting at least two full work days for the preparatory work and then the coating. Possibly into a third day.
At my age I doubt that I could do it that quickly, but then I don’t have a lot else to do!
I do not have any experience with the ceramic coating though.
I have seen that used on cars. Do you know if it is a good product for boats in a salt water environments.
Thanks, Bill

glacierbaze

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
One of my questions would be how to maintain a ceramic coating yourself. I would like to get my boat completely detailed, and I feel like I could then maintain it. As a week-ender at the coast, and a geezer, a complete compound, wax, and detail is more than I want to do on a dull boat finish, and perhaps end up with a mediocre result.
I could maintain a traditional wax and polish finish, but I know nothing about ceramic coatings. Do you keep applying the finish over time, or do you strip and recoat after a couple of years.

Ky Grady

GreatGrady Captain
Staff member
Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
I know a guy that will sand your hull down, through the gelcoat, and get you a bunch of thin areas!!!! Not that I would recommend him.

Be very careful who you choose to do your work, check references and go see some of his work and talk to people that he has done work for. Ceramic coating will only last a year or so in the sun. To me it's a gimmick, Just use a good wax like Collinite and maintain it yourself. Even Ceramic coated, you still need to wash it and maintain a clean boat, Ceramic is not a magic fix to never wash your boat again.

BF22Grady

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
One of my questions would be how to maintain a ceramic coating yourself. I would like to get my boat completely detailed, and I feel like I could then maintain it. As a week-ender at the coast, and a geezer, a complete compound, wax, and detail is more than I want to do on a dull boat finish, and perhaps end up with a mediocre result.
I could maintain a traditional wax and polish finish, but I know nothing about ceramic coatings. Do you keep applying the finish over time, or do you strip and recoat after a couple of years.
Good questions. I will ask & let you know.

BF22Grady

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
I know a guy that will sand your hull down, through the gelcoat, and get you a bunch of thin areas!!!! Not that I would recommend him.

Be very careful who you choose to do your work, check references and go see some of his work and talk to people that he has done work for. Ceramic coating will only last a year or so in the sun. To me it's a gimmick, Just use a good wax like Collinite and maintain it yourself. Even Ceramic coated, you still need to wash it and maintain a clean boat, Ceramic is not a magic fix to never wash your boat again.
Agreed. This is not a do all/be all never wash again fix it! It is basically a way to get a boat who's finish has not had the attention it should for several years, back up to snuff.

Ky Grady

GreatGrady Captain
Staff member
Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
All I'm saying is be careful. I went through a nightmare doing the very thing that you are wanting to do. The end result turned out well, only because I have a good fiberglass guy, but it was a stressful process that didn't have to be.

20210425_183139.jpg20210502_151605.jpg

Reactions: mjm1957

BF22Grady

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
All I'm saying is be careful. I went through a nightmare doing the very thing that you are wanting to do. The end result turned out well, only because I have a good fiberglass guy, but it was a stressful process that didn't have to be.

View attachment 21605View attachment 21606
Ky, your boat looks great! That’s what I’m looking for.
Are you saying that the guy who prepped your boat actually used sand paper to cut through the oxidation? Ouch!

Ky Grady

GreatGrady Captain
Staff member
Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
Yes,,, that's what most detail guys will use. Wet sand it to get oxidation off and then use product to polish it out.

Reactions: pmgia

seasick

Reaction score
I once was given advice on new construction products by a seasoned home builder. He said, " I don't use any new product until it has been tested in the field for 100 years"! OK that was in jest of course but it was quoted during the debacle of EFIS on new homes. Maybe you know what EFIS is but if not, the point is that it was the latest and greatest thing until houses started to rot away, literally.
I think of that guy's advice quite often both in residential and marine situations.
OK, I am a skeptic, big time, or more of a Show Me type.
I get that feeling when I read about ceramic coatings on boats. For now, it's wait and see for me.
My recommendation would be to get references from local folks that you can follow up on.
All that aside, if it works, the cost estimate seems reasonable to me for the work involved but buyer beware. It is quite easy to damage gel coat but you may not see the damage at first.
In addition, your hull is 30+ years old and who knows how the gel coat was treated in the past. Usually in your kind of case, some sample spots would be cut and buffed to determine the general condition of the hull.

Reactions: wspitler

BF22Grady

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
I once was given advice on new construction products by a seasoned home builder. He said, " I don't use any new product until it has been tested in the field for 100 years"! OK that was in jest of course but it was quoted during the debacle of EFIS on new homes. Maybe you know what EFIS is but if not, the point is that it was the latest and greatest thing until houses started to rot away, literally.
I think of that guy's advice quite often both in residential and marine situations.
OK, I am a skeptic, big time, or more of a Show Me type.
I get that feeling when I read about ceramic coatings on boats. For now, it's wait and see for me.
My recommendation would be to get references from local folks that you can follow up on.
All that aside, if it works, the cost estimate seems reasonable to me for the work involved but buyer beware. It is quite easy to damage gel coat but you may not see the damage at first.
In addition, your hull is 30+ years old and who knows how the gel coat was treated in the past. Usually in your kind of case, some sample spots would be cut and buffed to determine the general condition of the hull.
Thanks for the advice - all good points. That's why I posted on this forum, to see if you guys have experience with ceramic and any special related specs.
You are right about the age of the hull and not knowing what has been done to it in the past. Another good point.
PS I spent 45 years in construction, and do know what EFIS is!

seasick

Reaction score
I am glad you know about EFIS, I think the reference makes my point clearer:)
Good luck with the boat.. Keep us up to date on the progress.

SCW

Reaction score
Model
Freedom 275
I own a car wash and auto detailing facility. Ceramic products do work... but... There are lots of products and lots of company's to choose from. Just like all boats are not the same, the same goes for ceramic products. $1850 actually sounds cheap to me for a full detail, polish, and ceramic coating on a boat. Make sure this is a reputable company that has references and ask what ceramic they use and the amount of Sio2 it has in it.
Just for reference we charge between $500-1500 for a ceramic coating on a car depending on if it is a 2year 3year or 5 year coating. This does not include a full detail!
*I have no experience on how well ceramics work on boats.

Reactions: blindmullet

BF22Grady

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
I own a car wash and auto detailing facility. Ceramic products do work... but... There are lots of products and lots of company's to choose from. Just like all boats are not the same, the same goes for ceramic products. $1850 actually sounds cheap to me for a full detail, polish, and ceramic coating on a boat. Make sure this is a reputable company that has references and ask what ceramic they use and the amount of Sio2 it has in it.
Just for reference we charge between $500-1500 for a ceramic coating on a car depending on if it is a 2year 3year or 5 year coating. This does not include a full detail!
*I have no experience on how well ceramics work on boats.
Wow! Thanks for the information. You are the first reply with first hand knowledge on the pricing.
I will check out the items you recommend.
Again, Thanks!

Reactions: GW1990

SeanC

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
US$1850 (AUD$2400) is a good price. At that price I wouldn't have done it myself. I was quoted AUD$5500 here is Australia. (Working for an American company make me aware abot how much more labor costs are here.) Doing it myself cost AUD$3300 and now have 3 polishers and other equipment for future use. That doesn't include my labor of course. If you get a ceramic coat make sure it is designed for marine / gelcoat use. I used Gyeon Q2R Gelcoat which was easy to apply. Preparation before ceramic coating is more labor intensive than before waxing. The finish in terms of gloss is significantly superior to waxing but like wax the coating needs to be maintained. My post trip wash routine won't really change (some different cleaning products) compared to when it was waxed. From what I have read if the ceramic coat is still in good condition you can degrease and apply over the top without needing to remove. But that opinion does vary depending on the product. Will have to see how well it lasts. Being stored inside, I'm hoping 1.5 - 2 years maybe longer before a re-coat is needed. I was impressed how long the coating on my new car lasted. Definately easier to clean than a waxed surface. Much more 'self cleaning' and resistant to water spotting. First trip, post ceramic coating this weekend.

magicalbill

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Marlin
I have had my hull ceramic coated since I bought it in 2018. It does not repel bottom growth, it just makes it easier to clean off.

As far as topsides, I will not do it. My Detailer tells me it makes it difficult to repair the gelcoat once it has ceramic applied.

It may last longer than regular wax, I can't verify that, but eventually it'll need to be prepped & re-applied. Not for me, I would rather just wax it. That has worked well for me on every Grady I've owned.

mhinch

Reaction score
I did mine myself this past spring. Spoke with Drake of Drake's Detailing in Fl, also YouTube fame. Great guy, led me in the right direction, great product advice and most of all I pocketed enough for a new MFD display. Also did my upholstery too - nothing like a "new" boat!
Worth saying is that I have the time, equipment, space and most of all the physical ability (being 51 there's not too much left) to do it myself. If I did have to pay I would check out their other jobs and references. Not for the easily discouraged this type project. I removed every screw, snap and fastener and replaced.
Good luck and let's see it when it's done.

DoctorOctopus

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
I wet sanded my Grady with 800 back up to 500, compounded polished up to finesse it. My 1986 had zero care from he previous owner and was chalked. It was a ton of work and at this price I would definitely purchase this service if I could find anyone in NYC. well worth it. maintenance is now just a polish and a synthetic wax, but I definitely would have gone for ceramic if I could have been as thorough as a pro to do it.

Fishtales

Reaction score
You can spend a lot and in a couple of years it will look the same as the boat is 20+ years old. Be careful you don't remove too much gelcoat in your quest. Kinda like putting lipstick on a pig. I use Colinite cleaner followed by Meguairs marine wax. Looks good for about 3/4 of the season.